Newbie in need of wisdom asap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm Brad I am 29 y/o. I'm from the beautiful town of Port huron, Mi. I recently purchased a 1979 gl1000, after getting it home I went thru the bike very throughly and noticed two cracks in the frame. I got on the local craigslist and found a 1984 gl1100 frame. So my question is can I swap all components motor/final drive exc. From a 79 gl1000 on to a 84 gl1100 frame? I have no definitive awnsers so far so I came here. Thanks.

welcome to classic ....first the short answer is yes ..motor and drive will fit ...ok there is no 84 1100 frame in 84 they were 1200s....poroblem is dang all other stuff dont fit right as in plastic panels false gas tank and real gas tank also.....id either fix the frame or look for 78-79 frame as its the only plug and play frame out there for your bike ...

It was layed down. due to rust, I think when it was layed down it just gave way. I took a screw driver and easily without any effort pushed a hole the size of an American quarter thru one side of the rail. The damage is on the bottom left frame rail in two spots the hole is about 6 inches in front of kickstand plate. And the crack is along the kickstand plate itself. Previous owner put new forks cluster exc. Don't think he realized the serious damage, not sure tho. Haven't inspected the rest of the frame, stopped when I realized it was un rideable. Rest of the bike is complete and good working condition tho. I paid 400.00 for it, motor runs great and like I said rest of the bike is working condition. Any info I can get would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to being a part of this forum for years to come.

Next question. Is there any aftermarket chopper/bobber frames out there? I can't seem to find anything custom like that. My guess is because it's not chain driven it's a final drive making it hard to pre customize a frame?

none i know of ...your sounding quite crafty...i could make any frame work personally ...ive got more bikes with mixed parts than just about anyone...your first ? on whatever frame is you found ...will work its just not plug and play is all :BigGrin:

I can fabricate, I enjoy it. I just don't have the shop nor set up to do so. The frame is enticing because it has a clean green title. Doing some more research I can find these frames couple hour drive from me but no title. That's going to be 1/2 the battle. So I think I'm going to break this bike down look for more discrepancies and hopefully repair the one I have. I can atleast take the frame to a friends house to weld it. I just don't want to break the whole bike down at someone else's house ya know... so far the only damage is on a straight bottom frame rail. Any advice on repair. I was thinking if filling with the welder and making a sleeve to go over the rail and welding it on. Or the alternative to cut it out and replace the rail, from weld to weld.

Great suggestion bro. I diddnt even think of that.. Michigan is such a pain to file for a lost title. I'd understand if it were a 90's or 2000's and up. But it's like c'mon ain't nobody looking for their 1979 heap of scrap smh...

hang on a min... isnt that part of the frame removable ,same as the 75 and 76 ? i had to buy one for one of mine. unbolts from the footpeg and in front of the left hand head.
it is common for them to rust out.

gee i didnt see that aussie .... that piece is the removable frame piece .... that can be bought on ebay or something ....the lay down part of story is anotherthing ...if removable frame piece is it for totaally trashed part ...might be ok with frame you have

Yea I just looked at some pics aussie and that piece dosent appear to be removable. Although on a positive note I just talked to a guy 2 hours from where I live with a 78 frame clean and clear title... So originally I picked this bike up for 400, tires are toast, seat is torn not destroyed, fan not kicking on but I'm sure easy fix there. Runs and shifts great, brakes are good clutch feels tight.. Was 400 a good deal or did I pay what it is worth?

Aussigold looking at the schematics you linked you're 100% right they are bolt on sub frames. You just saved me about 8 hours of wrenching. I thank you. And the rest of you guys, you guys are very helpful! I will most definitely be sticking around this little community. Hope you guys have a great day. Made mine much better for sure.