I need some sure answers about old wing wire wheels

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
I got ahead myself and bought some new tires for my old 77 wing. They are being shipped to me now.
Then an awful thought occurred:
Can I even use tubeless tires with the old wire wheels?

Can you use tubes in tubeless tires?

If not, where do you even find the proper tube in tire combos?

What a dilemma, suggestions anyone?.??

You can use tubes in tubeless tires. You cannot use tubeless tires on spoke rims without tubes. If you can source new rubber bands for inside the wheels that would assure a longer tube life. I can't say for certain but I have not read of any bead differences in tubed or tubeless tires.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158890#p158890:hvhljxh1 said:
slabghost » 53 minutes ago[/url]":hvhljxh1]
You can use tubes in tubeless tires. You cannot use tubeless tires on spoke rims without tubes. If you can source new rubber bands for inside the wheels that would assure a longer tube life. I can't say for certain but I have not read of any bead differences in tubed or tubeless tires.

Are you sure I can use tubes safely with my new tubeless tires?
Where could I buy some proper tubes anyway?
If there is no difference in the bead where it seals/seats,
why can't you just use a stand alone tubeless tire?

Yes,ebay,amazon,bike shop.not sure.dont understand the question

Spokes are mounted through the wheel rim and will not seal. The rubber band is not there to seal the wheel it's there to minimize any damage to the tube by the nuts that hold the spokes. Am I 100% certain tubes will work in a tubeless tire? No and I doubt anyone will risk a 100% guarantee. I will however guarantee that the tires will not hold air on spoked rims.

i have read of tube in tubeless quite a bit online, 50/50 yes and no.
My opinion is, all you need to do is keep it inflated and as long as the tire mounts up it will be fine. My main concern would be of any difference in the tire bead that could compromise the tire or the wheel. Of course, anything that could puncture a tube like the spoke ends needs to be dealt with.

If this is a big concern. It seems to me you have two choices. Return the tires and find tube type. Or you can buy wheels made for the tubeless tires.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158897#p158897:1vp6o9l3 said:
slabghost » Today, 6:15 pm[/url]":1vp6o9l3]
Spokes mounted through the wheel rim and will not seal.

That is the exact same thing I thought of when I looked at the rim.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158900#p158900:bgwo6ygf said:
slabghost » 35 minutes ago[/url]":bgwo6ygf]
If this is a big concern. It seems to me you have two choices.
1. Return the tires and find tube type.
2. Or you can buy wheels made for the tubeless tires.

Thought about option one, it's a hassle (RETURNING) plus I like the modern tubeless selection and brands better.

Option 2 has no solid answers, I researched the internet, several forum inquiries etc. and all I got was a bunch of guesses or suggestions to swap out the whole front end etc. A dead end road.

Bottom line is Terry, it's up to you to decide which way you're comfortable doing.
Gather all the information you can then go for it.
Just like using a car tire on a bike, or choosing brand of tire, there are many opinions and many opinions are based on their own personal experience and mechanical abilities.

You will not be disappointed by running tubes in a tubeless tire but as slab said the tube will not last without replacing the rubber spoke protectors ( bands ). In my experience I have never seen a true spoked wheel ( adjustable spokes) that would work tubeless!!

+1, your wire wheel should have a wide band about an inch wide three quarters at least. this is so the ends of the spokes which go thought the rim do not rub and puncture your tyre. There is no earthly reason NOT to run a tube inside a tubeless tyre. At the end of the day they both sit snug on the rim. So long as you make sure that band is there, then fit the tyre on one side only, then insert the tube. When I was a kid we used to use talcum powder liberally over the innertube (use your hands) make sure the valve is through the hole and not twisted, ease the tube trying not to twist the tube. when you got it in, fit the valve and just inflate enough to fill the space. You should be able to squeeze the tube together between two fingers. once inflated just let the air out and fit the other wall of the tyre. DO NOT use washing up liquid to lube the tyre, I know it is called soap but it isn't soap you can wash with. It is there to help the rim on once on inflate the tyre to just a bit less than the right pressure, bounce the tyre on the floor (not hard) just to seat the tube and the tyre, deflate and do the same again, now you can inflate the tyre to pressure. But you can also put in beads to balance the the tyre dynamically or use some goop, it will help with a flat even inside a tube and will also balance the wheel like the bead's. Before anyone bites my head off, the Goop thing is what I have seen on You Tube and been told that it works well, it isn't a permanent repair.

Go here (this is in the UK) but it is in the states too. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281596072321? ... EBIDX%3AIT

You can indeed run tubless tires with a tube inside. I am doing it on my '76 and its just fine. You need the tubes and the rubber band though. All these parts are easily sourced through bike bandit. Just give them a call, give them the information from the tire and they will hook u up with what you need. No worries, it will be just fine.

Ok first of all, thanks for all the helpful advice I am grateful for it.

I just got back from a roadtrip and my new tires and some other things had arrived at the front door.

Before many of you had posted I had already decided to go with the tube in a modern tubeless tire.
It seems like a good sensible plan to me.

I just didn't post about it because I was on the road.

When I looked at the rubber protection band on the front wheel it looks good.
I haven't broken down the rear tire yet, so I will scrutinize it carefully also.

Common theme with your threads. You ask for advice you have no intention of following or have made up your mind before posting. Just saying... :roll: Oh and I love your titles, like your going to get anything but correct answers. :good:

~O~

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158968#p158968:zyp98l8t said:
Omega Man » 22 minutes ago[/url]":zyp98l8t]
Common theme with your threads. You ask for advice you have no intention of following or have made up your mind before posting. Just saying... :roll: Oh and I love your titles, like your going to get anything but correct answers. :good:

~O~

You couldn't have been more wrong.
That's simply just not true.
I do certainly like to find a consensus among those whom have been to where I am headed.
Kind of like taking a poll.
I read the responses, evaluate the suggestion, consider the source, do a gut check, make a decision.

Yes my topic titles are intentional, to draw from most potential respondent's.

gee wizz ...guys ...terry your threads are fine ...ive been away a bit .....to me idont see any thing wrong here ....i dont even think you can buy tube only tires ..maybe you can ...there are people wo seal the spoke wheels ..with like a latex and mees deal ....and run tubless tires ...there mostly show bikes ...but it dose work ...once work...once tires are inflated ...its like the seal job is evenly clanped in place ...and it will not fail ......but its way to much troulble to deal in my opinion ....but there are many who want the look of spokes and the tires you cant get tubes for and there is no second choice and they do it ....

tubless tire ...seal ring ...tube ...was great outcome of this thread ....best to you terry and randy :thanks:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158928#p158928:13pd08pr said:
Ansimp » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:02 am[/url]":13pd08pr]
In my experience I have never seen a true spoked wheel ( adjustable spokes) that would work tubeless!!

BMW have been doing it for years! The spokes on the GS going way back to early 90s had spokes and tubeless tyres The spokes on those bikes are NOT inside the tyre area.

Personal opinion here from the UK, as far as I am aware there are still tyres made specifically for use with tubes. But what you are asking is a spoked wheel by definition has a rim let us say for sheer argument one of the best "Racing Rims" money could by back in the day Borani rims in the pictures I have provided you can clearly see the piercings where the spokes are fitted.
Without having some sort of very expensive sealing system that would be air tight while the wheel flexes you would have to use a tube. I just can't see why you would have a problem in 1) using an inner tube and 2) even a tubeless tyre will run perfectly fine with an inner tube inside it.

Borani Rim naked
Borani rim.jpg

Sanremo rim same thing

sanremo.jpg

Now I will show you a CONVERSION you can buy

tbeless conversion.jpg

Great you say that is exactly what I want, yippie, well this is the cost for a Trumph wheel Kit

cost.jpg

£450 UK pounds for 1 wheel.

Personally the cost of an inner tube is $10 bucks maybe 20 even 50 but I can buy a LOT of tubes and tyres for £450 or to be real £900 for two, oh and you haven't paid for the wheel build so in dollars that is going to cost you a cool $1283 US, you haven't bought the rims yet? so I give it to the group is it worth putting a rimless spoked wheel on a GL1000 so it can use a tubeless tyre. I think that the discussion is closed on the grounds it isn't worth it.

:ahem: