Hey guys. Putting together a 81 goldwing

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikecm44

Reaction score
I need a little help. I just got a 81 goldwing wing gl1100 for free from my boss. Just needs the motor fixed or a new motor.the engine chain broke. (Not the timing belt) and the bike put back together in just don't know how to.is there a place that sells a complete motor rebuild kit for it or should I get a usedmotor? What would be cheaper?

No actual kits that I'm aware of. Craigslist and ebay are your friends for replacement motor and parts.

I figured as much. There's a few places out here where I can get a motor.how easy is it to put the back back together? The bike is torn down to the frame

One step at a time it's pretty easy to put back together. I'm sure looking at now completely apart it looks impossible. Several members here have torn their bikes down to bare frame and rebuilt them. I'm sure this forum can help you get a rider out of this deal.
By the way welcome to the forum.
81 is pretty spry for a Goldwing in stock form. Any flat four goldwing motor can be installed. Some will need additional mods to fit. Easiest to install will be an 1100 as they will not need any changes to final drive or driveshaft.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173262#p173262:d5u3fgki said:
Mikecm44 » Today, 12:09 pm[/url]":d5u3fgki]
I need a little help. I just got a 81 goldwing wing gl1100 for free from my boss. Just needs the motor fixed or a new motor.the engine chain broke. (Not the timing belt) and the bike put back together in just don't know how to.is there a place that sells a complete motor rebuild kit for it or should I get a usedmotor? What would be cheaper?

I rebuilt a 77 GL 1000 and my advise is if you need several parts just pony up for a decent donor bike, Buying parts a few at a time, gets too pricey. If you only need an engine it still may be the way to go, sell the sought after left over parts if you don't need them.

from the sound of things....this motor may have trans problem or locked up oil pump to cause chain break...id firsr just take it apart and see whats up ..thete some good vids here by assuie and bronko on tear down....this will bring the working of motor to you.....good luck and ask ? on anything ...start a thread on it ...and all can help

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Post pics and we can really help you get this going. When you got our "FREE" '82, it was in pretty bad shape. I had my girls help tear it down to the frame and start from scratch. At 16 years old (and a little bit of guidance from me), my daughter pretty much put the bike back together and she never worked on anything before.

I told her a simple rule, "someone put this bike together one nut and bolt at a time when built; and you are a someone!" :yes:

Welcome from Southern California! It's a very enjoyable project - putting one of these Oldwings together, and the pride and joy of riding once it's done is priceless!

Welcome from Oz. Good luck with your 81. I truly love my Rats Nest but Steve83 did all the hard work :good:

Latest posts