Stall when letting out clutch

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid455

Reaction score
I finally got away from the boys Gl1000 project to work on my LTD project. Got the carbs back on it and fired it up for the first time in some 10-15 years. Engine is running good, hitting on all 4, throttle snaps nicely but.....

On the center stand in neutral I have an irregular rattling, clunking from rear engine area in neutral, noise subsides somewhat when you pull the clutch in. Engine shifts through all 5 gears, If you put it in gear and attempt to release the clutch the engine will pull down and stall in all 5 gears as well.Clutch seems to be grabbing very well With engine off in gear rear wheel still turns. While its turning you can hear a metal to metal ratcheting noise from the differential area.

So before I got to ripping and tearing chasing my hunches do any of you gurus out there have the answer? I'm guessing the pinion locked up and sheared the worm gear but honestly I've never had one of these apart. I'm wondering about the driveshaft too.

hmmmmmm ...i think id pull final drive and driveshaft off from motor ....then you might find trouble with either piece along the way ....if not then you can crank motor and see if problem is in motor itself in tear cover area.....there is also stator bolt that might be loose ...but seems unlikely it would cause the things your ssying going on ....good luck

Agreed. I'd pull the rear wheel off and check the drive shaft splines the drive hub splines and the final drive splines. With all that off. Try it again. If the result is the same . I think it's time to pull the rear cover from the motor.

Pull the snap ring off the front of the driveshaft, and slide the u-joint back....then see if the engine still dies when you let the clutch out in gear. If it does, the problem is inside the engine. If it doesn't the problem is in the diff. :good:

Checking the drive shaft and differential is a great and easy place to start. Be sure all that stuff is well greased and that the diff has gear oil in it, those are the obvious things. If you don't see any trouble in those areas it may be the clutch basket. Has anyone ever tampered with the clutch at all? On my 75 that I had the PO had tinkered with the clutch and when he put it back together he forgot to bend the tab on the lock washer down, a very easy mistake to make. So, if the final drive all seems ok I would check the clutch basket which can be done with the engine still in the frame. If you need to check the stater as others have suggested, thats a motor out job, so IMO I would check the clutch basket first.

:BigGrin: I pulled the boot back and it didn't take long to find out what the problem was.
Guess that'll do it every time

Attachments

• DSC_0547.JPG
    DSC_0547.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 302
Fortunately everything else looks OK, I don't know how. The engine runs through the gears now. Still have a lot of chain noise but I have some tuning to do, hopefully it'll get better.

A pic of when I first got it running. Lots of marvel mystery oil, in the combustion chambers and mixed in the gas for top end lube.

Attachments

• DSC_0542.JPG
    DSC_0542.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 295
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174821#p174821:1zrkvfyz said:
Hybrid455 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:13 pm[/url]":1zrkvfyz]
:BigGrin: I pulled the boot back and it didn't take long to find out what the problem was.
Guess that'll do it every time
file.php
Sandpaper and duct tape.......you will be good to go! :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

Latest posts