GL1000 Single carb conversion - Found other problems

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom_Charlton

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1984 GL1200I
1988 GL1500
While converting to a single carburetor (Holley progressive 2-barrel), I was trying out my Harbor Freight infra-red thermometer and found #2 exhaust header was the same temp as the radiator. Other headers read 400F plus, so I suspected #2 was gas-fouled.
Pulled the plug and it sparked fine. Checked the compression on #2 and it read zero.
Pulled the head and found a bent exhaust valve.
Got a good valve from the parts engine, lapped it in, and now waiting for a head gasket - from Poland! Saber Cycle does sell a single gasket, but they are higher than the Polish parts place, even after you pay the overseas shipping charges.

Some day, I will understand!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=180879#p180879:3q9iypci said:
PurpleGL1200I » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:58 pm[/url]":3q9iypci]
While converting to a single carburetor (Holley progressive 2-barrel), I was trying out my Harbor Freight infra-red thermometer and found #2 exhaust header was the same temp as the radiator. Other headers read 400F plus, so I suspected #2 was gas-fouled.
Pulled the plug and it sparked fine. Checked the compression on #2 and it read zero.
Pulled the head and found a bent exhaust valve.
Got a good valve from the parts engine, lapped it in, and now waiting for a head gasket - from Poland! Saber Cycle does sell a single gasket, but they are higher than the Polish parts place, even after you pay the overseas shipping charges.

Some day, I will understand!

I hope you bought a genuine Honda line gasket....Anything less is a waste of time and money.

thats simply not true .....ive used the so called cheap gaskets always and really have no problems with them ...i have found a slight miss cut on one head bolts as the only difference in the aftermarket head gaskets and honda ....it was very easy to do minor fitting of gasket ....like it payed me 25 dollars for 3 to 5 minutes work fitting cheaper gaskets...pass that the gaskets are the same make up ....low quality...i think head gaskets are one of the biggest rip offs in the oldwing parts buying.....there mostly just goo gaskets with very little metal in them...some members have used solid copper gaskets custom made....and get them cheaper than honda sales the goo gaskets for.....that will be my choice for head gaskets....

oldwings run really to hot in stock set up in my opinion for goo head gaskets honda or others not to blow .....they simply melt out eventually and loose there substance and blow out...so on my bike i run the motor much cooler than stock and i have had no problem with the head gaskets on hooch bike......but if it ever blows out it will be copper...