78 - tank gauges/7v reg. issues....solutions?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have turn sigs, horn, lights, starter, etc. but nothing on the tank gauges.

I did discover by looking at some ebay pics and such that I don't / maybe didn't have the proper 7v reg.

It has been awhile but I bought one of these (2nd pic) - can't remember where - maybe via here?

Pretty sure its for the 1000. It says white 12v in, green grd., black 7v. out. The white connector fits, the other two female don't (minor)-too big.

Need to verify how to connect. So - the white goes to the white/red(left) on the cluster, the black to the green and black(center), the green (right) to the ground. there are only three available wires so I am assuming that is it. I tried that although the green and black were kinda loose in the fittings. I can change the fittings.

Assuming the white /red is the 12 volt in but not sure about that. I tested the female plug on the bike that supplies the cluster. The only socket that has 12v power is the one that goes to the aux block. What am I missing? Thanks!!

Attachments

• 152.jpg
    152.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 380
  • 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 382
Pony, there was a how to build on the 7 volt regulator in the gallery that would probably answers your questions, I'm away from my laptop and on my phone at the moment and can't lol it up.

I tested the plug again that the whole gauge cluster plugs into.
Set the tester to 20v. with the black lead on a ground put the red into each female slot.
I get nothing except where the power for the aux comes out of.

all the other wires go to the fuel,temp,voltmeter. 12v power would seem to come in via the white /red striped wire - I get nothing from that wire ahead of the 7v reg.

If anyone has a diagram...seems like the power to the 7v. reg comes in from the neutral/oil,fuel fuse. that fuse is good cause I have a neutral and oil light.but no power to the gauges. it is the same lead in I reckon. Am I on to something? ha ha.
I think I am going to unhook that whole plug panel cluster and see if anything got moved/disconnected.
I'd post pics but the wife is using the pic posting computer. i might do that later. I tried getting them on from my new phone to this old computer but no go.

I will be jumpin for joy when I/we figure this out. Everything else electrially is good ostensibly at this point.

Wondering if the way to test the 7v reg. that I have is to connect the 12v input wire to the pos. of the battery, the ground to ground and then test the 7v output wire to see if it reads 7v?
seems logical anyway....

IMG_0046.JPG

The red/white is +12 volts supplied by the neutral,oil,fuel fuse.
Dark Green is ground. Green/Black is +7 v to fuel and temp gauges.

Need to find out first why there's no power on the red/white.

Yeah. that seems like the crux of it.

no power to the red/white lead behind the gauges
therefore,
no power coming from the red/white to female 6pin plug.
therefore,
something isn't right between the fuse and the 6pin plug cause there is power at the fuse.
Q is what would that be? Doesn't seem like there is anything in between except maybe a cut wire? My color diagram reads slightly different at the plug - like there is a little jumper wire in there.

I did swap out two of the bulbs with led's - still...

Attachments

• 1978_79_GL1000_Colour_Schematic2.JPG
    1978_79_GL1000_Colour_Schematic2.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 293
Normally you need a load on a regulator to get an output. Use a 5w/10w tail light bulb for your load even though it is 12v. You can also use an old style incandescent test light for the load.

Maybe went over-voltage and took out tha gauges when it failed? THE OLD CHAIN REACTION EFFECT happens a lot with old electrical components. Ever thing ok for 30 years then it all flys apart :rant:

Need to trace the wire.

well that thought did cross my mind as I was trying to process this conundrum...

but I was kinda hoping maybe I could find someone with a 78/79 that could test their wire to see if it is indeed hot to the plug. I looked behind the plug ensemble - that is a rats nest of wires!

on the wiring diagram I posted - I'm wondering what that little red jumper wire at that plug does. and why it (power?) goes both ways when it connects up to the 7vreg. Anyone see that?