Tach drive gear replacement.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence954

Reaction score
I need to replace the tach drive gear in my 75 GL1000. I have the part but I'm unsure of what to expect when I get started. I can't find any diagrams in the manual relating to that area of the engine. I thought I'd ask before I start pulling the fuel pump etc. off. I'm hoping its a pretty straight forward part replacement.

It's been a while since I had a fuel pump off, but I think it was just a matter of pulling the oil seal (31) and unless the drive gear is stuck in there, it should just pull out.

Fuel Pump.JPG

So I don't need to remove it from the engine? I broke the tab off part 3 when I didn't get the cable in all the way the last time I installed it. I'm concerned about how part 3 meshes with whatever drives it.

If you broke the tab off of the tip of the gear shaft, pulling it off may become a necessity just to be able to pop the gear out of the fuel pump housing. Pulling the fuel pump is nothing but two bolts and a little wiggle.