1978 GL1000 bought yesterday, breaking it down today

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer6118

Reaction score
My hubby just bought me the best gift ever, 1978 Goldwing GL1000! I have decided to rebuild it myself (as much as possible) but I've only worked on dirtbikes so we will see how this goes... Today the work began. I cleaned out the shop, reorganized the tools and started taking her apart. I've removed the aftermarket saddle bags and trunk but I don't think I will put them back on. I'd like to do a complete restoration and already have a list of things to replace, so the quest begins. I welcome all advice.... :clapping:

Do you know the mechanical history of the bike? Does it run? If you answered no...

Change the fluids, change the belts and most likely clean the carbs then let the fun begin.

I don't know anything about the bike except: she's old, starts up but the clutch doesn't work. I've already started my list of must replace now and replace later. This list and parts availability has changed my mind from a restoration project to a get her up and running bike.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Welcome from central Illinois. Click on the GL1000 forum button for tons of free advice. I bought a non-running 1978 GL1000 and found this site invaluable for information on parts and maintenance.

Somewhere on here is a cross reference list that will save at least half the cost on many parts you will need. Some examples are :
Timing belts – Gates T274 – Rock Auto $12.86 each.
Spark plugs – DPR8EA-9 – Rock Auto $1.50 each.
Exhaust gaskets – Fel Pro 60567 - Rock Auto $2.25 each.
Radiator hose - Gates 21008 (cut in half to replace both top & bottom hose) – Rock Auto under $8.00.

Yes, I like Rock Auto. NAPA, Auto Zone, O’Reilly, Advance, etc. also stock or can get these parts, but prices may be higher.

If you need metric bolts, nuts, and washers, local hardware stores stock many common sizes at considerable savings over Honda.

An excellent site to look up parts on the Honda micro-fiche is Western Honda.
https://shop1.westernhonda.co/fiche_sele ... veh=132886

Again, welcome to the site and don't be hesitant to post questions and pictures as you go.

Tom

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191545#p191545:204nydii said:
desertrefugee » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:14 am[/url]":204nydii]
Ah yes. Western Honda. Excellent website and parts source.

For me, they're just a short detour on my way home from work. Comes in handy!
Wow, that is great for you! I order most of my OEM parts from Western, but have to get everything shipped. It can get expensive sometimes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191547#p191547:150b2bea said:
mcgovern61 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:17 am[/url]":150b2bea]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191545#p191545:150b2bea said:
desertrefugee » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:14 am[/url]":150b2bea]
Ah yes. Western Honda. Excellent website and parts source.

For me, they're just a short detour on my way home from work. Comes in handy!
Wow, that is great for you! I order most of my OEM parts from Western, but have to get everything shipped. It can get expensive sometimes.

I was thinking the same thing... then I remembered him posting that it was like 107 degrees the other day. I am happy paying the postage.

:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:
At least it doesn't snow in that weather.. :yes:

:swoon:

That's OK. I'll bring it up again in November and December and January and February.

Jennifer - we're sorry. While we can help you work through stuff with your Goldwing, from time to time there will be a little overhead that goes along with it.

About that clutch. They're pretty long-legged on these things. I don't know how many miles your bike has logged, but I'd be willing to bet that either a) it needs adjustment or b) somebody put automotive oil in it.

I just ordered a clutch lever, perch and cable and will be pulling the clutch in a day or two. We will see what the mystery basket reveals...

How’s the restoration going on your 78 ?
I’ve just bought a 78 as well, arrives Monday... like you, the fairing and panniers have to go !! I prefer naked look.. any photos ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, the restoration is on hold. We are trying to sell our house and move to Colorado so I can help with my mom.

The day we bought her....
1a4f8cec0366988255ae6d67c54c2a82.jpg
369cf0ce1a470208839d13bf67a56cb0.jpg

I hope you can take your new baby with you. I know how it is to be a parents caretaker. Not fun but a very gratifying job.

I will be taking my new baby with me there's no doubt about that. I think it may be my only stress reliever for a while.