Rear master cylinder on '78 GL1000 question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer6118

Reaction score
I took the rear master cylinder off my GL1000 and it was dry as a bone. Rusted and full of ???? I'm unable to get the snap ring out so I have no clue as to the internal condition of the spring, piston or valve but it doesn't look good externally so its soaking. Should I take the time to rebuild it or buy one?

Photo #2 is of the boot pulled back to expose the push rod. The boot was split at the seam hence no brake fluid. I'll see how the overnight soak goes.... and repost pics then.

I just want to say that I've never worked on a street bike before much less one made in 1978. My only mechanic experience is with dirt bikes. My son has been racing since he was in elementary school and I learned a thing or two but this bike is going to be for me. In the past, we had to get everything rebuilt and ready for the next week's race, so time was a huge issue and we had a stock pile of the most frequently needed parts. Sure I want to ride now, but I no longer have the luxury of having multiple parts available at my finger tips.

Attachments

• 20170608_204506.jpg
    20170608_204506.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20170608_204143.jpg
    20170608_204143.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 146
That's going to take a LOT of soaking. I had a bad one on my 1100 so I got a MC from a late model Yamaha, some SS lines and new pads. I now have two finger brakes. Regardless of my signature. If the rear brakes are great why don't we call them two-toe brakes?

Like Dan said, if the bore is pitted or corroded, it is not worth attempting to repair. Sometimes, this is where Ebay can be your friend.

A side note, last Winter I purchased a small inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner from Ebay. I have put some damaged parts in it and have been pleasantly surprised what that little machine has been able to clean.

Here it is after a 10 hour soak, no ultrasonic available tho...
60b4066d4ce3a98a7a0ce5c519dc8c0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Finally got the c ring out but everything else is still frozen and i cant get the dang piston out. Just gonna buy a new used one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk