Choke cable on '78 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer6118

Reaction score
When I pull out the choke it slowly returns. Is this the norm? I'm used to a choke, that when pulled out, stays until you press it back down into position. I can post a video if I'm not making any sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure about the '78, but on my '82 the button that the cable passes through right at the handlebars adjusts. I tighten it when my choke cable starts to slide.

Mine does that very slowly, maybe over a minute or two, from 1/2 choke (under 2000 RPM). I've decided to treat it as a feature rather than a defect. When it warms up and doesn't need the choke anymore, it shuts down to normal idle all by itself. :good:

I like that philosophy D-50Dave. I now have a new feature on my bike!

Man, my 1 white board is getting full. I think I'll make a "to do board" and a "need to buy" board.

Easy! Just take it one item at a time. Wrenching and riding it isn't so much how fast you go as it is how little you slow.

My '78 has a tightening screw at the base of the choke cable. I know what you mean about the to do and to buy lists, it's easy to outspend the monetary value of the bike, I'm at about 2 times what I can get for it versus what I've spent on it...lol. It's a good thing I don't plan on selling my oldwing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I don't plan on selling my bike either, but I would like to ride this summer [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]