Clutch issues on '78 GL1000

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer6118

Reaction score
The clutch won't engage so I took off the cable housing and pushed up on the clutch lever. Clutch still won't engage. I did notice about 1/8" of play (in and out not side to side) at the bolt insertion point. Is this normal? Any thoughts on clutch not engaging? Clutch basket and plates were replaced by previous owner this past year and I do have them.

Side note: I replaced the clutch lever as the one on the bike had stripped threads at the cable adjuster. When I unwrapped the electrical tape, the wire broke off. The wire is too short to reach the male plug now so it looks like I will be splicing....
2a2163f938fb46d5921600e7473eda95.jpg
b8000635163077b61cee36df1c98585c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Won't engage or disengage? Always able to roll the bike or only if in neutral?

If it's the latter, it is not unheard of for friction plates to occasionally bind to the disks. If that happens, it's either disassembly time - or a start up in neutral followed by a very unkind dump into gear to see if that frees them up.

It is in neutral. Dumped into gear 3 times, nothing but major clunks. Guess I will try to disassemble. Dang.

So clutch does not release. Check the adjustment procedures for that year. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the pin at the lever to push a bit further which may allow the clutch to release. Fortunately you do not need to pull the motor to remove the clutch plates.

Yea, I would check the adjustment first, loosen the cable adjustment then loosen the lock nut in the pic then turn the flat blade screw in till you feel it hit the pressure plate then back it out a tad, but look in the procedure to be sure that is right, too many bikes in my head.

Just a thought, but do you know if the previous owner rode the bike after his clutch work? If not and he replaced the clutch, it is possible that he simply didn't fix what was wrong before. For your sake, I hope not, because that could get ugly...

Well, it's going to get ugly. I did adjust and adjust and adjust the clutch but that didn't work. Then I cussed and did it some more. Guess I will be pulling it. I will be buying a lift in the next week or two. Then I will post an update. On another note, I just drained the oil and it smells like straight up gas. I won't be riding anytime soon.....

Not uncommon when these GL's sit for the gas to leak into the oil. It happens when the floats are not adjusted correctly or the float valves and seats are dirty letting gas leak. If the petcock is left open, the change in temperatures can cause the gas to siphon into the carbs.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191855#p191855:wcemxfcz said:
Jennifer6118 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 am[/url]":wcemxfcz]
I've had the petcock closed since we bought the bike....

Others have reported that the petcock valves have leaked even when turned off. I replaced mine on the Rats Nest but it was leaking externally past the seal.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191855#p191855:ft4aawj9 said:
Jennifer6118 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:49 pm[/url]":ft4aawj9]
I've had the petcock closed since we bought the bike....

The petcock on my 87 will stop the flow of fuel when the motor is off, but I can still run the motor with the petcock in the off position, so if that seal inside the petcock is even the slightest bit suspect, it will leak through.

I order a rebuild kit for the petcock... my husband gets the mail everyday and he's amazed at all the "little things" I'm replacing. It's the eternal spiral headed towards the big repair.....

If you have to pull the clutch, I can loan you the tools I made. Will have to find out if '83 1100 clutch tools will work on your bike.

Attachments

• clutch tools.jpg
    clutch tools.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1835small.jpg
    IMG_1835small.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 100
Thanks for the offer and I'll let you know. My mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer so I'm headed to Colorado for a month. When I get back and get myself sorted out, I'll let you know.

Our prayers go out to you and your mom. My sister in law is a recent survivor of that. Let me know when you get back to it. I'll be nearby in NC at BRP in late August.