LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently December 12th, 2017, 9:35 pm
Who Is Online: wilcoy02 .... 2 guests
Jump to:  

Portal » Forums » Repairs and Modifications » Shop Talk and Tech references » GL1000

Welcome to Classic Goldwings!
You are now viewing the forums as a guest which has very limited access to the forums.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#1  Unread postPosted: October 7th, 2017, 5:49 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

Total Posts: 912
Active Topics: 68

Total Images: 39
Local time: December 12th, 2017, 10:35 pm
My Rides: '97 Valkyrie Tourer
'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

I guess I should have run one simple thread topic for one simple task. But, my trials and tribulations over this have been more interesting than I expected. To be honest, it IS (or SHOULD BE) a pretty simple conversion. It has been detailed eloquently elsewhere a number of times and I've leaned heavily on those previous efforts.

A couple of my minor snags are noted here: (namely the hydraulic lines and fittings)

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12582

But today's snag really has me irritated. We've all heard the horror stories about Saber Cycle and their customer service - and sometimes "iffy" parts supplies. Well, I took a leap and ordered one of their clutch cover gaskets. I figured, how bad could it be? Well, it doesn't match the bolt pattern, that's how bad. It specifically said "1984" in the title. They sell the '85-'87 separately, so I figured they knew what they were talking about. They do not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gasket-clutch-cover-Goldwing-GL1200-1984-/253166760373?hash=item3af1ea31b5:g:kREAAOSw9uFW9ziz&vxp=mtr

Stay tuned.

But, I have 304 stainless rod coming, banjo bolt in hand for the slave (that one drove me nuts), master cylinder and braided stainless top side hose, and of course the 1984 cover and slave cylinder are all waiting patiently for the complete inventory of necessary bits.

So, now I have no gasket. Yes I am irritated. Oh-so-close-but-still-no-can-do.

Sheesh.

"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#2  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 5:45 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14461
Active Topics: 147

Total Images: 112
Local time: December 13th, 2017, 1:35 am
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

Why did you order an 84 gasket? The cover is bolted on to a 1000. Use a 1000 gasket.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#3  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 7:17 am

Site supporter

Topic author

'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

It's an '84 cover. Same bolt hole alignment. Should have worked. Not even close.

"I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle." - Anonymous

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#4  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

Global Moderator
C5 Club

Total Posts: 14461
Active Topics: 147

Total Images: 112
My Rides: 98 Valkyrie, 84 Standard, X2 80GL1100,81GL1100,82KZ750,81 Seca750 ++

Profile Personal album

84 cover should have the same bolt pattern as the 83 1100.

Vote NO on taxes, levies, and incumbents.
Every day I learn I know less than I thought I did.
Every time something is made idiot proof. The world produces a better idiot!
Maturity like wisdom seldom arrives without age. Far too often though age arrives without either.
ImageImage Image
Politicians are like diapers. They need changed often. For the same reason.
A fine is tax you pay for doing wrong. A tax is fine you pay for doing well.
Second place makes you first loser.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#5  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 8:01 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Total Posts: 17367
Active Topics: 182

Total Images: 1669
My Rides: A bunch in the works

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Yes the difference is 82-83 clutch cover operates like the 84 cover ...they also have same bolt line up as earlier wings ...the 82-83 covers that are cable will operate the 1200 clutch ...I've done this myself so I know it's a fact ....saber did send wrong gasket it seems..

thank god and hooch im gone

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#6  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 8:05 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5569
Active Topics: 160

Total Images: 359
My Rides: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

I have made several clutch cover gaskets using a sheet gasket material I bought at the local auto parts store and hole punches I bought at Harbor Frieght. The nice thing about the clutch cover, there isn't much pressure built up, so the gasket doesn't need to be very precise.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#7  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 10:27 am

Site supporter

Topic author

'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

I'll probably just do this, Brian, but it irritates the heck out of me. It seems that the stories about that vendor are correct. My very first experience with them is a negative.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#8  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 10:43 am

Site supporter

Topic author

'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

I feel like an idiot. I got this reply back from Saber this morning:

Quote:
You are mistaken. Our 82-440 matches the 11393-MG9-306 in exact size and cut and we can prove it. We have two 11393-MG9-306 here in our warehouse for quality control. Please see our attached photos of the OEM and our 82-440 laid on top and a shot to show the gaskets are stacked.

So, if our 82-440 doesn't match what you need then the OEM 11393-MG9-306 won't work for you either. Match sure you have first matched up the larger tabs. They are not all the same size.

So, I went back out and rotated, flipped, rotated some more and flipped again and HOLY SMOKES found that it actually does line up!

In my defense, what a PIA to get set. Gasket can only face one direction and getting the rotation then gets a lot easier. Saber sent a gasket that fits. I take back what I said.

Guess I can get on with the job now - except I'm headed over to the mountains of Western New Mexico on Thursday. A nice, Fall ride into the wilds. Not a bad reason for procrastination...

Last edited by desertrefugee on October 8th, 2017, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#9  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 10:45 am

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
What response

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#10  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 11:45 am

Site supporter
C5 Club
Single Carb Club

Total Posts: 5569
Active Topics: 160

Total Images: 359
My Rides: 1984 GL1200 Standard - 18,000 miles

1987 GL1200 Interstate - 61,000

Profile Personal album

The gasket is certainly a one position fit. Sabre may be right, but they could have chosen better words for their explanation. Maybe its just my biased opinion on the subject, but I read their response with a lot of attitude.

Brian
Retired US Navy 1983-2003
If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#11  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Site supporter
Single Carb Club
C5 Club

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Lol....I've been there ...give me something easy and I can't do it at all ...

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#12  Unread postPosted: October 8th, 2017, 12:39 pm

:)
:)
C5 Club
Single Carb Club
Site supporter
knocker

Total Posts: 20433
Active Topics: 810

Total Images: 4064
Local time: December 12th, 2017, 9:35 pm
My Rides: 1983 Interstate with '84 1200 engine, Solex single carb, and C5 ignition.
2016 KLR 650
My Bike Logs forum link: viewforum.php?f=122

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
I think sabers response was okay. I’ve gotten MUCH more attitude from a few Ebay sellers.
At least saber had apparently gone back to the warehouse or whatever and checked.

PLEASE! Use your Gallery album for saving pictures instead of using attachments or picture sharing sites, especially technical reference pics. This will make sure your images will ALWAYS be in your post and the discussion thread will make sense!
Go HERE and learn how to use the Gallery.

Image Image ImageClick to order CGW Stuff

If you know someone can embroider our 3" patch, let me know!
My photo gallery
How to use the Gallery, Part 1, Part 2

How to add your bike photo to the rotating banner and our Banner Rides Page.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#13  Unread postPosted: October 9th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Site supporter

Total Posts: 8448
Active Topics: 136

Total Images: 1021
Local time: December 13th, 2017, 3:35 pm
My Rides: 1981 GL1100 Vetter "Rats Nest"
1987 CBR1000f Naked "The Pig"
1991 CBR1000f "Red"
1998 GL1500c "Val"

Profile Personal album

My YouTube Channel
Good to see that it was just confusion! :good:

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#14  Unread postPosted: October 10th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

The answer is . . . about a half a quart.

What's the question?

The question is: "How much oil leaks out when you remove the clutch cover?"

:roll:

I knew there'd be some based on the lower level of the opening, but I underestimated a bit. No matter. I've started the conversion. I won't finish until next week since I'm doing a road trip to New Mexico to hit a few ghost towns in the mountains. I love fall road trips.

I'm pretty anxious to get this conversion finished, so I did the preliminary prep work. I may get a little more done tonight, but I'm in no real hurry.

(And yes, I need a final drive seal. I didn't realize it was that bad).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Share Post: Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+Share on MySpace  Post Number:#15  Unread postPosted: October 27th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Site supporter

Topic author

'78 GL1000

Profile Personal album

I'm guessing that folks have forgotten about this "task" I undertook. Well, a ride to New Mexico got in the way and it took me a while to get all the parts and pieces in order (long story), but I finally had everything laid out - and was about to button things up and get 'er done...

...until I realized how tight things are back there trying to get the slave cylinder, actuator rod and cover in place with the frame cross member "thisclosetotheslave". I fussed with the danged thing for a long time one evening and gave up in disgust. WTF? So, I came back in and sheepishly PM'd a few gurus who've been down this path.

Here's what Old Fogey had to say when I asked him if I was stoopid or what:

Quote:
No, you are not stupid. I fitted it all up first time with the engine out. Then, just like you, I found, the only way to get the slave on or off is to drop the engine at the rear.
I have just had to pull the engine out of mine again and needed it off so that I didn't lose clutch fluid, so trust me, there is no other way. Sorry.

Well heck. I sure missed any reference to dropping the engine for this job. So, just as I'd resigned myself to doing just that, I took one last stab at it. I flattened the overflow hose stay, tacked the gasket in place and tweaked the acuator rod at an angle (hopefully the seal will seal now) and invented even more new four-letter words and it was in. Holy crap what a pain. Not interested in doing it again anytime soon - and the slave banjo bolt felt like it wanted to strip when I snugged it down, so I might "have" to!

I'm done for the evening, but the vacuum bleeder goes on in the morning and, hopefully, I'll be done.

Did I say this was a bit more of a pain than I anticipated? Dang.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. You must LOGIN or REGISTER to view these files.

Print view |
LOGIN  
Welcome to Classicgoldwings Chat Live Chat:   >   It is currently December 12th, 2017, 9:35 pm