Engine Swap

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pio1976

Reaction score
Hi Everyone ,
Can you put a GL1500 engine into a 79 GL1000 ?

i could not find anything about this swap...is it possible? has anyone attempted or it is impossible?
thanks!

I wouldn't say that it can't be done, but it would take a whale of amount of work doing all the cutting, welding and modifications that would have to be done. I know joedrum has installed a 1200 into a 1000 frame and although both are flat fours there were physical size differences. I don't know if the 1000 frame in it's stock form could handle the extra weight and torque of the flat six 1500 . Anything is possible with the right amount of engineering, skill and money and it probably would take a whole lot of all three to do that swap.

As long as you are prepared to lengthen the frame. I believe if you try real hard you can fit a V8 into a bike!

thank you all guys. feel very good here already as a new member.
let me see what i can do...will keep you posted.
thanks

1500 or 1800 in a 1000 frame impossible ..no way .... :Doh2: if there was 1500 or 1800 in my doghouse id show you how no way works :smilie_happy: and be riding it

if you have the part im sure it can be done to work ....Ive look into it but don't have resources to do it :crying:

the frame concerns are not a big deal .....steel is the easiest thing to stiffin up ...I think the frame of an oldwing is rather stout ......worst thing about pifwing frames is what bolted to them shocks with weak springs forks the same ......

im guess here but lengthening frame for the 2 extrs cylinders between motor mounts and removable frame picec modified ....and fitting 15 00 or 1800 swingarm is about it iseems to make it work and forks that are beefy enough ...that just might not be to much work

like I said if I had the big 6 id be doing it

ican tell you the 1200 works fine ...im in the last stages of finisnhing it ....the stsrter took a dump yesterday sheeesh :fiddle: :mrgreen:

valk-motor-on-78gw-frame.jpg

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82995#p82995:76y0jo1x said:
ekvh » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 am[/url]":76y0jo1x]

file.php

I just saw this again in the random image gallery and I just had to comment on it, it's beautiful. The random image gallery is one of my favorite features on these forums.

~O~

Latest posts