GL 1000 Starter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterDas

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am changing the starter in my 79 GL 1000. I have the wire off, and both bolts out. It jiggles in the enging, but won't slide out. Is there atrick to free it from the gear/chain in the engine? Please help....

Once the 2 bolts are out it will slide out.
Could be there is some rust on the shaft end, threads are a little buggered up maybe. The o ring seal can be a snug fit.
Carefully position a screw driver or small pry bar and while jiggling and pulling forward, pry forward.

Ok then... I had loosened the top bolt, and removed the bottom bolt. I then tried for an hour to get the starter out, hammering, prying, and cussing... Went inside, posted this post, and when I got back outside, looked under with a flashlight and saw the darn top bolt still in.... Dang it!. Once I removed the top bolt, it practically fell out! The new "Ricks Motorsport" starter slid in with minimal jiggling, and viola, it works great! I also rigged the solenoid fron the old 83 in there, all is right with the world now. Thank you for all the advice, it was great to have the input. Now I know how to do it... Just remove both bolts, not just loosen....

She runs great! I put 4 load resistors on the intake, 1 on each runner. Idles great and no more hesitation from icing. It's getting down in the 50's here in Texas... Sorry to the northerners here... Hehehehe..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137495#p137495:23oowdm6 said:
PeterDas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:48 pm[/url]":23oowdm6]
She runs great! I put 4 load resistors on the intake, 1 on each runner. Idles great and no more hesitation from icing. It's getting down in the 50's here in Texas... Sorry to the northerners here... Hehehehe..
Load resistor on each runner?
I'd like to see pics of that :thank_you:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137469#p137469:1xztpfn8 said:
PeterDas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:05 am[/url]":1xztpfn8]
...I then tried for an hour to get the starter out, hammering, prying, and cussing... Went inside, posted this post, and when I got back outside, looked under with a flashlight and saw the darn top bolt still in....

Sounds like you've been reading from MY playbook....don't do that....it'll mess you up every time.... :smilie_happy: :mrgreen: :smilie_happy:

Don't feel bad....I've spent hours looking for something I had in my hands the whole time....

Glad ya got it back runnin! :clapping:

Latest posts