Well that was easy. Sportster muffler install and a question

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldwinggirl

Reaction score
So Bella, my 79 wing has had a holey exhaust, where the chrome connects to the header for a few years now. I knew it was getting bad, so after some (OK LOTS of) research, I decided to try the Sporster muffler swap. I ordered the mufflers from ebay for $26 for two new (less then 50 miles on them).

They had the crossover ports and I tried to find the right size freeze plug to seem them, but could not find one that fit. I think the right size is a 555-104 34.3mm, but not 100% sure on that. I'm not being a welder, like woodworking its a skill that alludes me. I've tried it and lets just say that its a weak point for me.

However I took fender washers and 3/16" toggle bolts and that worked pretty slick closing up the cross over opening. I left the gasket material on the cross over ports and the fender washers compressed against that and just fit inside the outer wall. Not sure of the size of the washers, but it had a 3/16" hole in the middle and got them at ace hardware. Just a tad smaller then 1-3/8" So probably 1-3/8"

So an hour today got the old mufflers off and the new ones on. The old right muffler came off in two pieces. Seems that all that was holding it on was a bit of chrome on front and the hanger bolt at the foot peg. I Knew it was bad and it was. The left muffler was in better condition and came out in one piece with just a small hole in the side.

I used A rubberbacked clamp around the frame arm to attach the new mufflers to the frame. I did not use an adapter and just mounted the sporster mufflers to the header pipe with heavy duty SS T-Bolt clamps, which seem to work well. So far anyway.

The sound of the new stock Harley mufflers is not loud at all, a little deeper, but it sounds quite nice, to my old half deaf ears. Plus it idles smoother too now.

Ok unrelated question. Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch on, it cranks, but does not start. If I turn it back off and back on it starts right up. Normally it's instant starting. This has just been going on for the last few weeks I suspect my 36 year old ignition switch is next on my list of things to fix/ modify. Anyone know what causes this and is it fixable.

Switch can be taken apart and cleaned. If you are very careful some of the contacts move and can fall out and some tiny springs and detent balls

Great to hear from you again! Nice job on the mufflers (any chance of a video in the future?) As far as the ignition, I agree it might just need to be cleaned. If I turn mine a touch too far, the headlight and other lights come on, but no start. Just touch the key back a bit and it starts right up.

YA...without pics/video...it DINT happen!! :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

You can certainly remove and clean the ignition switch. It's a bit a work to get to it, but well worth the effort is it corrects the problem. I was having a simlar issue with mine, and cleaning it took care of it. There are some small parts in there, so if ya do this, be sure to do it over a clean table/bench, preferably with white paper towels or such, so you'll not loose anything that might fall out un-noticed. :good:

On the ignition, it's like it turns a tad too far. Though it's been working fine today. Looks like I'll save that job for when the headset bearings are replaced. It's on my list with the new timing belts and fork seals, which I have but am waiting for the right day. Today was far too nice. sunny and 70 degrees.

Below is a photo of Bella with her new pipes.

Attachments

• DSC03840-004.jpg
    DSC03840-004.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 180
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141831#p141831:1ed6u0xe said:
Ansimp » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:04 pm[/url]":1ed6u0xe]
Very nice and I am so glad that you kept Bella :good:

I'm very happy that I still have Bella, A really great bike and so smooth on the road. All in all pretty, reliable for a 36 year old bike. It's my only motorized transportation. But then I work from home, er well boat. Yes I am only a little weird that way.

I also just replaced the choke cable, two weeks ago and wow, there is a whole 1/2" more travel in the choke cable. I had this bike 11 years, only to find out the original cable would not close the choke all the way. Boy it starts up instantly now.

She is getting there. I need to do the timing belts as it's been almost 10 years since I replaced the old ones. Only have about 15k on them. There were a few years where she did not get much loving. But now that she is my daily and only driver, she's pretty happy and so am I.

Thanks for the pics, nice looking wing. I too am glad to see the angle you mounted the mufflers at. I have an 1100 set with the same Vetter gear that you run. I have only seen the mufflers mounted at a steep up angle which would not allow the saddle bags to be mounted. Looks like you were able to keep the center stand too, another big plus.

Yes the center stand is still there. I leaned the bike over 35-40 degrees in the driveway and it still cleared the center stand foot on the left side. Right side is not an issue anyway. I'm not aggressive in the corners.

I never could get aggressive in right turns/leans.
I'm not sure what it is but right leans have never felt comfortable for me even when I was 16 and fearless. Left leans are fine.

Latest posts