Gl1000 Clutch Woes

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxystaxi

Reaction score
So, this (new-to-me) bike has been a real roller coaster. But, I'll get right to the point.

I've noticed some issues with shifting and engaging/disengaging the clutch. I've replaced the clutch cable and did all the adjustments in accordance with the tech manual.

It continued to have the same issues so, I've decided to replace the clutch plates and springs.

After using some of the online resources and finding out you can do this all with the engine in I took the challenge on.

After pulling the plates out... I saw the horrible "plate b"...

It was like a kick in the nuts....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OSlIfcyCjcbnQ1SUwtUVJyOUE/view?usp=sharing

Then the very last friction plate was a real pain to get out... and noticed all the friction material was worn off...

AND........

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OSlIfcyCjcd3ZYUGpLbGxFcms/view?usp=sharing

The outer drum has a worn scratch around it and the "circled" areas there are grooved nicks in the arms...

AAAHHHH!!!

I've changed the oil twice since I got it from the PO... I've never noticed any filings or metal bits.

So... am i screwed?

The drum looks pretty worn as far as I can see. There is a casting line or mark that runs around the circumference of the drum to the rear, is that the mark your speaking of?..Looks at worse a new drum and clutch plates, not serious and good used ones are available.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149629#p149629:2d73wxa6 said:
zman » Tue May 26, 2015 6:02 pm[/url]":2d73wxa6]
The drum looks pretty worn as far as I can see. There is a casting line or mark that runs around the circumference of the drum to the rear, is that the mark your speaking of?..Looks at worse a new drum and clutch plates, not serious and good used ones are available.

Yea the worn line that is around the rear (toward the engine). So I'm assuming i have to yank the engine out. I'm still trying to find some reference on how to replace the outer drum. Do I have to split the engine up?

You may be able to smooth off the ridges and still use the basket. Depending on how deep the groove is. I haven't removed one yet but I understand there is a nut requiring a special socket at the base of the basket that needs removed to remove the basket. Motor needs to be out to remove the basket but I don't think you need to split the case or even remove another cover. Someone who's been there will be along to verify or correct me soon I'm sure.

hmmm, if the basket is a basket case... ( sorry :BigGrin: ) it's not that big a deal. i reckon the engine has to come out. and a special socket is handy to take the retaining nut off. the PLate b can be done away with, just add two extra metal plate as shown here. https://www.wingovations.com/clutch-plat ... 4579471089
also, the Honda manual shows a procedure to flush the debris from the clutch area. not hard...( famous last words ) :music:

Finally changed out the basket and reinstalled the engine...

Before doing so I attempted to reinstall the clutch whole so the engine could just be slid in.

Well I've read and read about the six bolt bearing plate that you have to gently, evenly and diagonally reinstall the bolt so as to not crack the plate.

Well it did and I was really bummed... It was on the last bolt to be torqued down to 87 inch-lbs using a 1/4" torque ratchet.

So I quickly run to ebay and shell out a lot of money to get a used replacement clutch

Okay I'm trying to stay cool, calm and collected.

:crying: :head bang: :rant:

I've cracked not just one... but TWO of the 6 bolt spring plates... and THIS time I had even gotten to the torque any of them down... I even had lowered it to 60 inch-lbs.

I made sure I checked with a bright light and a tiny screwdriver that all the springs are centered, I go in a (1-4-2-5-3-6, 4-1-5-2-6-3) pattern when tightening. The torque wrench is from home depot and it has been calibrated with the data...

I feel sooo defeated right now. I've been able to figure out and learn so much on this bike... what the hell am I doing wrong?!

I would suggest torqueing it in steps like: all 35 ft.lbs then 55, 75, and finally 87lbs.

This is how I torque things evenly and has never caused an issue.

Also, make sure your torque tool or rachet is accurate, it may be out of calibration and over torqueing it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150217#p150217:120wc74c said:
Terry » 43 minutes ago[/url]":120wc74c]
I would suggest torqueing it in steps like: all 35 ft.lbs then 55, 75, and finally 87lbs.

This is how I torque things evenly and has never caused an issue.

Also, make sure your torque tool or rachet is accurate, it may be out of calibration and over torqueing it.
Ditto on that and be certain the plate isn't 'cocked' preventing it from sitting down flat as you tighten it down.

Well I checked with some weight and I see my in-lbs torque wrench is off by +6 in-lbs of torque.

I still don't think the wrench had anything to do with it. Since I had even torqued it lower around 50 in-lbs (56 in-lbs adjusted) before it snapped the plate.

Do the springs move after you set them? I sat for 30 minutes getting a light at every angle and making sure they were seated (not on the outer ridge) and that they were centered.

I spent almost an hour going in the pattern of bolts and turning a 1/3 of a turn each time.

The worst feeling in the world is when you take extra caution since you've cracked one plate... but to hear that sound and see the crack is heart breaking.

Any machinist out there could make a killing by reproducing these soon to be very rare plates.

Cut some out of old table saw blades! I spent most of the day trying to revive the blasted lawn mower. :0fftopic:
:head bang: it won. Only runs a few seconds at a time. Guess I gotta get the float needle cleaner than it is. So you aren't the only one feeling defeated. Hang in there you'll get it right yet. As cautious as you were second time around it must have been ready to crack.

So in the meantime while I wait for another 6 bolt spring plate... I decided to take the friction/steel plates out again just to make sure it was seated correctly and I came across this...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OSlI ... sp=sharing

Turns out that this new plate from Barnett (401-35-078024) is misshaped.
(you can see the lower original steel plate with the Barnett steel plate on top that has the center beveled inwards. I'm assuming this has to be the answer as to why the plates were not seating and the spring plate cracking before it was even tight enough to torque.

Once the new plate comes in I'll also be putting on the original springs back on (after checking to make sure they are within specs) I'm done messing around with this clutch... I mean business now!

Hold the springs in with Vaseline. It will keep them from falling down before you get the rest of it assembled. It will not hurt anything in the oil once you've finished, and have it running.
Take the basket/pressure plate end of the springs, and dunk them in COLD Vasaline....get plenty of it on the spring ends, then stick them to the pressure plate. They should stay stuck until you get the end plate bolted on. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150265#p150265:fo3es5hp said:
AApple » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:23 am[/url]":fo3es5hp]
Hold the springs in with Vaseline. It will keep them from falling down before you get the rest of it assembled. It will not hurt anything in the oil once you've finished, and have it running.
Take the basket/pressure plate end of the springs, and dunk them in COLD Vasaline....get plenty of it on the spring ends, then stick them to the pressure plate. They should stay stuck until you get the end plate bolted on. :good:

This was Genius!

I dabbed each spring in vaseline and placed the plate with the springs attached in the fridge overnight.

Spent 2 hours finishing up and slowly going at it...

I think both finding the warped plate, replacing it and the springs in the right spot was key to finishing this project. I just spent a day riding 150 miles with the clutch in perfect condition. Boy it is a world of a difference.

Thank you all once again for the help again!