Brake unions?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianstaley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all I don't know if Euro bikes and American bikes are different, but I need to make up a brake line for the rear brake on the GL1000 79, has anyone got any idea on the size and the thread on the brake unions please.

Ian

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150293#p150293:202vktxd said:
julimike54 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 pm[/url]":202vktxd]
Might want to try HEL in UK
https://www.helperformance.com/

yeah I like the HELL brake lines, but on the back wheel there is a hard tube between the Master Cylinder and the rubber brake line to the calliper. So unless I use a SS line all the way I need to make a new hard line. Not a problem as I have the right tools (flaring tool) and I have a few meters of Copper brake tube too, just need the unions, hence the request. They look smaller than car ones.

Well since my last post on this I found one of the unions in one piece fron the front brake, I have a neat piece of equipment from a company over here called probolt. It is a thread gauge for metric threads and bolt size from M4 up to M12. The thread turns out to be M10 with a 1.25 pitch. I would suggest that any serious biker or meddler like me to get one of these little tools.
Sorry for the picture but it is a bit washed out on the left side, but it gives you all an idea.

Thread tool.JPG

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150330#p150330:gs3ws9k1 said:
dan filipi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:02 am[/url]":gs3ws9k1]
Nice gauge, I should get me one instead of stumbling like I usually do with trial and error.
:good: I miss my stolen thread pitch gauge ( like a feeler gauge but shorter and my one had imperial and metric) :(

Didn't cost much either Dan, you been kind to me so how about I get one and send it over. it gives thread pitch from 0.5, 0.7, 0.8, 1.0, 1.25, 1.50 and 1.75 The size of bolt or thread diameter from M4, M5, M6, M8, M10 and M12. It will also tell you the length of the "bolt", "machine screw" up to 85mm

Real handy.
:BigGrin:

Also I have ordered two new male unions, of M10 x 1.25 pitch, which should be here by middle next week at the latest. I have ordered a new reservoir for the rear master cylinder which I have fitted this evening with my new master kit, genuine Honda part and no info how to fit. However, got some info out of the Workshop Hand Book which luckily had a good exploded line drawing and description. So my build is now no longer just collecting stuff for the build buy is being rebuilt. Hey we all have to start somewhere. :yahoo:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150357#p150357:394xky7y said:
dan filipi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:56 pm[/url]":394xky7y]
Well Ian it's like this.......I'll never turn down a free tool! :thanks:
Cool I will get you one and post it asap.

Ian

Any Machine Shop supply will have the thread's on a feeler gauge type tool. :yes: One of mine has metric on one side, British Whitworth on the other. The other set has the American National on both ends, $12.30 back in Nov 2010 for both which i thought was not a bad price. Very handy, add your tape measure, & micrometer, you can have all the info you need to ask for what you need. :yes:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150461#p150461:2oh23hd7 said:
Denver » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:31 am[/url]":2oh23hd7]
Any Machine Shop supply will have the thread's on a feeler gauge type tool. :yes: One of mine has metric on one side, British Whitworth on the other. The other set has the American National on both ends, $12.30 back in Nov 2010 for both which i thought was not a bad price. Very handy, add your tape measure, & micrometer, you can have all the info you need to ask for what you need. :yes:

It isn't about that, this is about being handy for the Honda, it don't use any Whitworth or AF or any other type of thread but Metric. and I have a large set of thread gauges for British Standard Fine and Whitworth, I haven't used that in 20 years. Got plenty of rulers too, 6" x 4, 12" x 2, 24" x 1 36" bendable magnetic ruler, used in sheet body work, the list goes on. This is just one of those items that gets used a lot by me since I bought it, and I got one for Dan as a thanks for doing what he did. I am not criticising your choice of tools, it is just a gift to a member friend, if you want one I will get you one too. It will be infinity more use to you on a Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or even those horrible Chinese things that get exported every where. British and European cars even russian ones, Korean, Japanese ones. None of them use anything else but metric. How many Americans have or even know what JS means, the answer is screwdrivers.

Love you all and keep on :rocks:

I have one or two of the blade style thread gages. Been almost twenty years since I used it. I'll look for a card style like yours here for the metric stuff. SAE stuff I can almost tell just by looking at it anymore.

I've gotten that way here too in just the last couple years. When I was 20 I could stand 30 ft. from an eye chart and read the patent number on the bottom. Now I wear trifocals.

Metric was what i went there to buy, whitworth was on the other end, :whistling: decided to get an american set to be able to read pretty much any type of threads while i was there. :good: Scouts & experience taught me to, BE PREPARED, :BigGrin: tape measure's, have a few of those around, micrometer was a handy gift, measuring tools are in the same drawer, & can usually figure out just what to look for, with out taking a sample with me. You can read the threads in a nut with the feeler gauge type as well, making them useful if nut is welded on & you can't find the bolt. Have one of those plastic jobs to measure fasteners for drill bits, in the bag with drill & bits, same principal, it is handy. :thank_you:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150491#p150491:2y1wmbs8 said:
Omega Man » 16 minutes ago[/url]":2y1wmbs8]
:0fftopic: was this thread about brakes? :cheeky:
Yes but knowing what tool can size up a brake line fitting comes in handy.
I had problems with this when I needed to have a flex line made to hook up a 1800 master cylinder on my 83. I hand to pull the line to bring it in and size it at the place.

Along with the "feeler gauge" type thread checkers, I also have a fairly large anodized aluminuminum plate that has threaded holes, and short, threaded studs mounted top to bottom, in both American and Metric sizes, course and fine thread. Quick and dirty way to run a nut on a stud, or a bolt thru a threaded hole, to determine size & pitch. It has a Pep Boys label on it, but not sure who actually makes it....nor do I know from whence it came, or for how long I've had it.... :blush:
I'll hafta look and see what the size range is for sure, but I think it runs from somewhere around 7mm-1/4" to 18mm-3/4"....might even have pipe threads, too.

Latest posts