Shorter Rear Shocks

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxystaxi

Reaction score
PO had installed MDI (universal?) shocks that are approximately 11.5 inches open. They are fairly new; It does add to the look of the GL1000 and it helps in height since I'm a shorter dude.

But I've run into a few issues... I am a heavier dude and I don't know if the shocks are a good fit for me. Riding isn't too bad but if I hit the railroad tracks or a pot hole... I'm bottoming out. (pucker effect on high)

The shocks have the ability to tighten up the spring. It was on the second to last notch and I just moved it to the very last (tightest) notch today.

Has anyone found a successful "shorter" shock that will work for the GL1000 that is a tad stronger. I would really like a 12" good quality shock.

The 13" (OEM size) would be too high for my toes (in boots) to place the heels flat at stops.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150986#p150986:3a76s1cs said:
slabghost » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:16 am[/url]":3a76s1cs]
Not certain but I think the 1200 shocks are shorter than 1100 and maybe 1000 shocks.

Seems that the 1200 are 14.5" and the 1000/1100 are 13"

I knew that answer once , seem to remember it was a factory shock from another bike..I have seen set backs for GL shocks they would drop any shock down some..usually 15 bucks on ebay under shock bracket or other such heading , with those you could drop the stock shocks down..Current aftermarket shocks can be cheap in the dampening department and it sounds like yours just don't dampen all too well.
I would look for a factory or high quality aftermarket, S&W street strokers or S&W air shocks were very adjustable and dampened very well as well as Yoshimura shocks were very good but that's going back a ways ,Harley shocks seem to work and they are 12"(I think). Progressive brand gets good revues but are expensive usually.

I put 1200 shocks on my 78 to provide more cushioning. The 1200 shocks are air shocks, so adding air can increase your load carrying capability. I weigh 230 (on a light day) and don't bottom out. The bike does sit higher.

It's not a direct bolt-on; the bottom of the 1200 shocks must be modified to mate to the 1000 swing arm.

Attachments

• AirshockGL1000.JPG
    AirshockGL1000.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 160
my 1100 has what appears to me to be harley shocks,i know the 70's era big twins had 12 inch shocks on them,they may work for you

So I rode for 60 miles today on the highest setting for the spring. It was decent and I didn't bottom out.

I will in the meantime look for an equivalent 12" eye-clevis version and hopefully a heavy duty one at that. I have a goal of taking this puppy on a long trip and may need to be able to ride with some weight from the gear.

Latest posts