GL1100 RATTLING NOISE

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the 4 Floats laying on table.

Attachments

• 20141218_151606.jpg
    20141218_151606.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20141218_151613.jpg
    20141218_151613.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 20141218_151622.jpg
    20141218_151622.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20141218_151633.jpg
    20141218_151633.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 127
They look OK on the carb but the tangs look like they are bent too far down to meet the float pin. The pin should be touched as squarely as possible for reliable sealing...I wonder if one or all of your needles are the right length..Are the tiny float pins all extended and springy?
The weight of the float should not be able to compress the spring down when the carbs are laying upside down and the height is before the spring compresses not under full compression.
If you can measure a needle I can compare it to one of mine just to be sure it isnt a poorly made or wrong needle installed.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137735#p137735:2lcmhoqm said:
auctioneeral » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:13 pm[/url]":2lcmhoqm]
jeff.
about 15.40 tip to top of plunger. all 4 needles. yes all plungers move freely in a spring out smoothly.
Yea, thats what I have too.
Edit..Here`s a side view on mine, see the angle of the dropped down tab, cant really tell but yours looks to have a more drastic angle to them.
001_zpse59624bd.jpg

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137738#p137738:2hfp1l8k said:
auctioneeral » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm[/url]":2hfp1l8k]
Ok. the pictures I showed were with the tang just resting on plunger, not pressing on plunger. I can push float down so plunger seats needle and it bounces float right back up.
Yes, that how they are measured by just resting them but not depressing them.See my edit to the post above.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137737#p137737:zuz8r2ax said:
zman » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:21 pm[/url]":zuz8r2ax]
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=137735#p137735:zuz8r2ax said:
auctioneeral » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:13 pm[/url]":zuz8r2ax]
jeff.
about 15.40 tip to top of plunger. all 4 needles. yes all plungers move freely in a spring out smoothly.
Yea, thats what I have too.
Edit..Here`s a side view on mine, see the angle of the dropped down tab, cant really tell but yours looks to have a more drastic angle to them.
001_zpse59624bd.jpg
Jeesh, I need to proof read, I wasnt talking about the float stop (lower part of pic) but the tab that that contacts the valve`s pin and runs nearly parallel to the floats frame, these were pulled as is from a perfectly adjusted float and never tweaked, are just as the factory set them.

Well I bench tested carb. rack for fuel leaks. No luck. I have a leak under plenum on carb #3. Torn apart checked O-rings on #3 carb to plenum. No luck. So I ordered new plenum gasket and the O-rings for carb to plenum . See if that will fix leak.

I try starting the other 81 bike and got it running only for a few seconds and stall out. Motor sounded a lot better then the rattle one. I have fuel running right out of #3 carb into the plenum. So I rip the rack off motor. Ran out of time on anything else.
Waiting to go to DR. tonight to get report on the colonoscopy. I had it done Thursday and quick report was report to my office Monday night for full report. As of now surgery is needed because, theres a spot that is 90% block. So i'm waiting to hear.

Leaks suck but it is better to find them out before install. With the plenum be sure the restrictor tube is there and put back in the correct hole, I had a rack that had it in the oblong center hole instead of the round fuel passage, getting your orings from cycle re cycle I presume..Found out they recently started carrying the plenum seal there too.
Your probably right about one of the orings being bad but be aware that if the fuel overflows from the float it can come out the needle and since it cant easily get past the throttle plate will back up into the plenum.
Regardless, oring replacement is always preferred.
90% blockage?..Geesh..that doesn't sound good...Hopefully everything works out.

I have the fuel straw in the so call little hole in the plenum. I try to be slick and figure I would check the #1 & #3 carb for fuel leak with just the plenum hook up on that side without the other half of plenum & #2 #4 carb and just hold finger over the little hole were straw gones and just for fuel leak, but boy did I get a surpise that fuel comes out a lot of the holes in the plenum. So I didn't work. So I sat down and order plenum gasket, Carb-to-Plenum Special FUEL Seals,Carb-to-Plenum AIR O-rings from Randakks.

Looks right to me, Just so you know there are only 2 carbs that need the little oring set so that is 2 big D Orings and 2 small D orings, the others have the ridges for the orings but dont need them. Cant recall if it is carb 2-3 or 1-4 carbs but a microfiche would show them.

So i'm reading up on Randakk pages and I see there are NO O-rings on the #1 carb to plenum except the large o-ring for carb throat. As seen in picture 1 I have a o-ring on #1 carb. so I guess I can remove that one.

I think that may be right, I recall both large and small going on one carb, his shows orings on 3 carbs, I`ll check my book and be sure, gotta find it first.
Edit, just looked in the book and that is right..Been a while since I did mine.

I'm trying. Well just when out and torn the other rack apart. Boy do I have a lot of work on them. Float needles were all stuck in the seat. Needle plungers do not move in/out. Who ever was in it, use some type of sealant around float bowl. All the carbs. inside are green slime like. Well that will be a complete over haul.

Attachments

• 20141222_104401.jpg
    20141222_104401.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 117

Latest posts