I just found my oil leak!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't blame anyone but myself.

Maybe it was a messed up seal to begin with, but when I went to the '75, 371's. I should have took a little more care!

But it's getting fixed now!!

Attachments

• Oil leak 01.jpg
    Oil leak 01.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 415
  • Oil leak 02.jpg
    Oil leak 02.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 413
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167645#p167645:16ebcsj5 said:
brianinpa » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:21 am[/url]":16ebcsj5]
I think I may have seen a seal like that in person once before in my lifetime. :oops:
+1 :doh:

From the photo you can see how I dealt with the engine breather following the SCC.

Engine breather 001.jpg

I'm wondering if this was the cause of the seal failing. It kind've depends if the engine sucks in or blows out, I personally thought it sucked in because:-

1. In the old days of the 4 rack, that breather used to pipe to the air filter box.
2. Of how an airplane flies & why the cigarette smoke goes directly out the window of your car, immediately you crack it open.

I thought the very fast moving components inside the engine would cause a low pressure and cause the engine to suck inwards.

But if I'm wrong and it blows outwards, could that filter be getting stopped up with oil and blowing out though the seals?

Also this time, I decided to do a little experiment.

Those inner belt cover bolts that are a total PITA to fit with the radiator in place.

I left them out. siliconed up the holes and retired them to a tool box.

The 2 easy to access outer bolts and the way the gasket rubber holds it all together in the middle appears to have a great grip on them and it seems to be all very copercetic.

When I look at all the pictures available from well respected builders that don't even use the covers, I'm thinking:-

Why the hell not!!

Pressure is built inside the engine from blow-by past the rings. If you take that filter off you'll feel pressure on your finger while running. I suppose it could cause the seal to do that if the filter was plugged, the pressure has to go somewhere. Stock setup is an open hose to the air filter so free flowing.

This is INSTALLER error....not pressure blow out.... :doh: :hihihi:

file.php

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167701#p167701:3eptvn6o said:
joedrum » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:58 pm[/url]":3eptvn6o]
i just ran my hose down instead of up to breather ...

So just a hose out to drain somewhere, huh? Okay!

Latest posts