Seeking a clunk!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're making me curious why you think that. Before you respond, here is a little more evidence. I jacked up the front wheel and gave the front a good wiggle...nothing, not loose. So i grabbed with two hands and pushed and pulled real hard. I was worried about knocking it off the centerstand, that recreated the small clunk. Not with every pull, but enough to tell me i found the problem. I still don't know if its wear or just loose, but since the new bearings are here, I'll put them in and try to figure out if they are worn or were just loose.
So why do you think it is brake related? I don't have any symptons to tie it to brakes yet, except that the act of braking was revealing the clunk.
Didn't start the work yet, still trying to move life to the side a little to make room to work.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191079#p191079:2zhclsyk said:
kerryb » Fri May 26, 2017 8:27 pm[/url]":2zhclsyk]
except that the act of braking was revealing the clunk.

Exactly that really, there are a lot of forces acting on the front of the bike when you apply the front brake and the brake is the catalyst to all of them.

I've ridden bikes with bad head bearings and when you hit the front brake you feel it through your whole body.

Sorry, I can't be a lot more specific than that.

I'd just check everything else before I started ripping out head bearings. $#!T! It could be the speedo drive or something.

If the clunk happens with the wheel off the ground shifting the bars....as it does. That eliminates the brakes or speedo drive or even wheel bearings from the equation.

Anything that even begins to resemble a mark, on the race, such as ANY those that were removed, are past due!!! TRASH THEM.

Finally got started on this. I didn't want to disassemble any more than I had to, so the block and tackle helps me hang the handlebars out of the way while wrenching. Makes it easy to pull the fairing too.

Attachments

• IMG_3809small.jpg
    IMG_3809small.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3820small.jpg
    IMG_3820small.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 68
Well, I guess it shows my inexperience. When I took this picture of the existing race I thought it might look like wear. So I proceeded to grind steel for a hooked drift, pound out the existing races and what do I find...these were bearings put in during the engine swap and clutch rebuild 1 1/2 yrs. ago...CRAP! I could have just tightened them up and be done with it. I really need to start better records on these bikes. I could have saved myself a bunch of blows to the hand with a ball peen hammer!

Attachments

• IMG_3813small.jpg
    IMG_3813small.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3817small.jpg
    IMG_3817small.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 67
All back together, ( it was a late night) And this time I made sure the lock nut was as tight as I could get it. Test ride when the rain stops ...and get on with preparing for my upcoming trip.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191217#p191217:m63ovlyu said:
kerryb » Tue May 30, 2017 4:58 am[/url]":m63ovlyu]
Finally got started on this. I didn't want to disassemble any more than I had to, so the block and tackle helps me hang the handlebars out of the way while wrenching. Makes it easy to pull the fairing too.
file.php

file.php
Pretty high tech garage if you have a fairing hoist. :shock:

The fairing hoist was an answer to the question of learning from my mistakes! (especially the painful/expensive ones) Fortunately I put lifting rings throughout the shop ceiling when I built it so I can have a hoist in multiple places. The cheap block and tackle from HF comes in real handy.
I either have clean up the shop or crop my pics better so you can't see as much of the mess that is my workspace. :Doh2:

I either have clean up the shop or crop my pics better so you can't see as much of the mess that is my workspace. :Doh2:

Great response! :smilie_happy:

I realize this is not a pissing contest, but, you should have seen the conditions under which I rebuilt my bike over 15 years, I am reliably told by someone that has seen both, (HOTT,) that only Joe Drum had worse, because I at least had a concrete floor, and not dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

So it weren't that bad as that, 'cos last year I built me a shop, but the bike was built by then! :Awe:

Shame about changing out new head bearings unnecessarily. :head bang: I need to adjust the head bearings on both Val and the Rats Nest, I intend to follow the manual's suggestion of using a spring gauge to set them correctly. :yes:

Latest posts