Speedo issue.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, there was one minor failure of the bike out on that run that was not self inflicted.

About 30 miles before home base, the speedo quit. So now I've got it up on a jack in the shop and I've narrowed it down to the speedo drive. (Thank god it wasn't the speedo itself, what's out there for sale is looking worse every time I look.)

Now I seem to remember buying a brand new gearbox for it a few years ago. NOS I'm sure, but brand new anyhow.

But I also seem to remember there was a dog ring that ran the gearbox, just a pressed steel thing, but the Honda fiche is calling that part a bearing retainer, Is it a dual purpose retainer that also runs the drive? It does appear to have some kind of ears on it.

I can't find a good breakdown in the manuals, so I'm asking the question?

Thanks.

It's been years since I looked at one. I think it is indeed the way the drive is moved by the wheel. So apparently it is dual purpose.

That's what I'm thinking too, and for the same reason. (It's been years since I looked at one.) If you don't mind, I'll wait a while for a more informed opinion, before I start ordering parts. :wave:

I'd be doing the exact same thing. A lot of good knowledge here. Just need a little patience sometimes to wait for the right person to reply.

I just had mine apart last weekend. You are correct, the ring with two ears does indeed drive the speedo drive. Mine was flattened out, I'm pretty sure it was because I missed the ears putting in the new to me drive the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Well there it is, a very recent look at it from a trustworthy source.

Thanks rob, you the man! Maybe that's what I did and it just took a while to sheer it.

I'll be more careful this time, thanks again! :BigGrin:

I was able to re-bend the ears on mine to make it drive again, maybe I got lucky...

Ok, it was the retainer/drive, (doohickey/thingamajig/chingalara) that was the problem, so now I know what the problem was and how I messed it up.

I stuffed that thing in somehow without replacing the bearing dust cover, I'm surprised it worked at all, let alone for 5000 miles.

It seems everything that goes wrong with this bike, (with the exception of the ID10T problem that went down in Amarillo).

Appears to be mechanic related! (Me, well okay, it's actually all me). So I now know the retainer goes in first against the bearing, then the dust cover & then the speedo drive, and the parts are on the way.

Question now is? What the hell is the trick to getting this old dust cover out?? :Awe:

Bent the crap out of mine getting it out, then straightened it back out and reinstalled it.

Thanks for that Rob, but I can't even get the thing to start moving.

Does the thing have a metal spine, because if it doesn't I can just cut it out, I've got a new one on the way.

Alright, got it!!

Waited for the new one to arrive from Western Honda to see what I was dealing with, but from there it became apparent that I just needed a bigger hammer to break it's back and pick it out with some needle nose pliers. The new one slipped in real easy with the help of a piece of wood.

Ready now to get it down to the store for its new tire. Thanks Fellas.