83 valve cover

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put baby powder around the seals. Turns out it is the fuel pump gasket that is leaking.
The one seal I did not replace.

Is there a seal for the pump? Where it connects to the engine. I do not see one i my parts book.
Will do so this week.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198191#p198191:3paajdys said:
wilcoy02 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:29 am[/url]":3paajdys]
I put baby powder around the seals. Turns out it is the fuel pump gasket that is leaking.
The one seal I did not replace.

Is there a seal for the pump? Where it connects to the engine. I do not see one i my parts book.
Will do so this week.
:good:

I looked at that diagram and it does not have a seal in it. I at first thought it was #2 but the description says it is a cover.
That is why I am puzzled if there is a seal there or not. And why would oil come out of there?

Doesn't 2 fit up like 8 does on the other side? If so then 2 is more than a cover. That's the rear hole of the 'head half hole' and the 'valve cover half hole', there's oil in that area. Or is it item 7 leaking?

#2 description is 'Insulator Comp., Tachometer Cover', maybe the comp. abbreviation is compressible, or compression or?

A quick look at your existing #2 should tell you if it's damaged or not. They are pretty sturdy pieces and unlikely to fail like normal seals or gaskets. It's actually both a "gasket" and a "heat isolator" keeping some of the heat transfer from the head from reaching the fuel pump. I'd be surprised if that's your leaker. See if the fuel pump bolts are simply loose first. And just because you replaced the tach seal doens't mean that might not still be a problem - if it's not seated or oriented properly.

#8 is a seal for where the points were on earlier models. I have #8 already for the c5 that I will be putting in that space.

The fuel pump was not tight when we found it leaking in that area. The powder we put on did not leak at the tach area.
It was leaking a the place where the fuel pump connects. Still may be the valve gasket still leaking. But I did put on oem valve gsket (2 different gaskets) on and also the original oem valve cover. Also put new rubber on the bolts for the valve cvr, along with a new seal on the tach cable.

Never thought a leak of oil would be a big problem. My boot is definitely water proof now with all the oil on them.

I really wanted to get this problem fixed so I can move on to the other 2 projects on this bike. But time runs out this Thurs--High this week 50's Thurs and after highs of 32. I want to replace the fuse box and install the c-5.

I suggest taking a stress-break. Tie a rag around the underside of the valve cvr to catch the oil while you ride it till its cold. Then fix it when the weather turns. Are you running crash bars on this bike?

Latest posts