Here she is, I named her, "the Wanderer "

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
I thought i posted this somewhere here but did not find the post. Hope I am doing this correctly.
Here is my new to me 1981 Gl1100 and man i just love the bags, so cool.
Picked this up for a mere $200 and the good news is , she runs :yahoo:
I will eventually have to strip her down and clean her up, hoping for no surprises.
Enjoy the pics.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161107#p161107:3nmect1b said:
brianinpa » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:14 am[/url]":3nmect1b]
$200!!! People can be arrested for stealing... You are aware of that? Nice deal.
+1 :good:

Thought & still think that my 1200 standard was a steal at $900(ran, stator still works after 7,000+ miles,) :party: But have to say you got a super price if it runs, no real abuse in its life,& title is good, congrats! :good:

My 81 cost me $500 and I thought it was great deal! Still do and I did have to fix the brakes and jump start her to ride it home.

As I would suspect, ran a systems check and it appears there might be either a head gasket blown or water pump seal leakage. Found traces of oil in radiator which is bubbling. Slight white smoke from one muffler. Engine runs well but will have to figure out which cylinder is compromised. oh well, let the fun begin :party:

p.s. If no fluid is exiting weep hole under water pump, could a seal still be leaking, say oil internally. This is on a 1981 gl1100.

Here's the video of what is happening. Let me know what you think. white smoke from left tailpipe but not too bad. coolant has oil in it and is overflowing.

[video]https://youtu.be/-LyNgb40jlc[/video]

It should have been bubbling more I think if it was a head gasket. When you put your hand by the exhaust did just feel clammy or did it smell gassy or sweet? Could possibly be the water pump seal. Oil is under more pressure than coolant.

Those bubbles say blown head gasket to me, not bad but blown.

If you run it with the cap off and let it get warmed up good, then hold it at 3000 rpm or so, do the bubbles increase?

Latest posts