Houston we could soon have a problem.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry

Reaction score
Well if my mechanical intuition is correct "ole faithful" my 82 1100 may have an impending problem.
It has always been bulletproof reliable for an old bike but my Spidey senses are tingling.
Lately more and more often she labors to spin then spins and starts instantly.

It is not hydrolocking and I always turn off the petcock.
The battery is in good shape and never drops below 11+ volts when cranking her over and the connections are clean and tight.

I think the old starter is begining to fail. I have heard of common starter troubles and rebuilding one being a good option over buying a remanufactured.

I really don't want to get stranded or have to try and bump start the old heavy girl.

What say ye oldwing sages?

Can't hurt to rebuild the starter while you know it works and clean out the old grease to replace with new grease. Waiting for it to fail entirely might cause more problems. The other option is have another starter to put in when that one does fail.Figure the odds on that happening at a convenient time. As it is now it's your choice on when.

I think pretty much all are from china. I bought two kits off Amazon. I can't recall which really.

I seem to recall there is a rebuild kit out there that has reversed brush polarity that causes it to run backwards. Pay attention to the brush plate and hookup on the one you buy, if it comes with the brush plate. All that's really needed is brushes though unless your brush plate is damaged somehow. Rare.

1100 starter are very good spinners ..but there is a copper flat wire that goes arund the magnets ...it could be this is wearing out i just had one do this and the symtoms are just as you described...might good idea to take it apart and check this ,,,as brushes wont help this ...mine eventually burnt into there ...had to make fit a 1000 starter fit the 1200 motor on mine ...now im back cranking up just fine ...

If I disassemble and find my starter unrebuildable like Joe did, what would be the best option?

Buy a repro and take a chance on it's quality/longevity? Are they all made in China and Taiwan?

Buy a used takeoff and rebuild it?

That'd be when I take it to a motor repair shop for rebuild. It's lasted this long. It will likely last another 20 years after a pro. rebuild.

all the china ones ive seen were pure junk ...but it getting to where there is no other choice ...id just open it up and look or take it to pro ...my post is about look before buying any thing ...rather easy to see if brushes are the problem ..from getting to short to touch anymore ..

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167437#p167437:13hdx2i2 said:
joedrum » 40 minutes ago[/url]":13hdx2i2]
all the china ones ive seen were pure junk ...but it getting to where there is no other choice ...id just open it up and look or take it to pro ...my post is about look before buying any thing ...rather easy to see if brushes are the problem ..from getting to short to touch anymore ..

I can't right now but I think I will pull it and look it over well before I leap, it makes sense. The chinese stuff spooks me too, kind of like asking some stranger to hold on to your wallet and you will be right back. Same likely end result, rip off.

Terry, I rebuilded my starter myself. Just new brushes, and some cleaning fixed it right up. You really should open it up and see how bad it is before deciding to buy a "new" one. Chances are all it needs is cleaning, and a set of new brushes. There is a THREAD here on my starter deal, with pics and all. Take a look....it might be easier than you think to get that thing spinning like new again! :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=167450#p167450:129y8uwt said:
AApple » 13 minutes ago[/url]":129y8uwt]
Terry, I rebuilded my starter myself. Just new brushes, and some cleaning fixed it right up. You really should open it up and see how bad it is before deciding to buy a "new" one. Chances are all it needs is cleaning, and a set of new brushes. There is a THREAD here on my starter deal, with pics and all. Take a look....it might be easier than you think to get that thing spinning like new again! :good:

Thanks, I appreciate it and will review your thread. Thats what I'm leaning towards too. As soon as I can I will open her up. A rebuild kit would also be very cheap from what I've seen.

Cheap enough to have on hand. That way you can go ahead with it or shelve it for later. Might be just the old grease in the drive head has turned to dirty glue.

When mine was messed up, I had no clue what to do, just like you.

I went through a whole bunch of after market starters, and those things are crap, don't even go there!

If you have an original Mitsuba starter motor, then I would like to advise you on the very best way to repair it

In my HUMBLE opinion!! The very best way to get your starter fixed up for life, is to send it to stockersstarters.com in West Virginia.

https://www.stockers.com/index.php?au=1

And if they fix you up the way they fixed me up, you will be one happy guy.

Another vote for Stockers, they are good.
I bought one years ago for around $125 from them. It has 4 brushes instead of 2, may be other improvements in the windings too I don't know but that thing spins the 1100 1/2 again faster than the stock Honda starter.

Rick's has been a good source for me over the years for part's to rebuild the factory electrical part's. :good: Only new starter ever purchased was a Mitsuba, that one was from a marine dealer, who purchased some n o s starter's somewhere, with the later mfg upgrade of bigger magnets. . :yes: Terrific starter, price was wholesale, it was for an 84, which were unavailable, & very expensive otherwise. :yahoo:Didn't really need it, but the price & the fact it was n os, had to buy it. :whistling: . The old one still work's well, have a new set of brushes, if the starter's ever needed, in the box the new one came in :rocks:

Latest posts