Speedometer cable

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
83 wing with an 80 speedocasing at the wheel. I got an 83 cable but it is really tight. I had to put the speedo cable on the tire first and then the speedometer. Really tight no wiggle room at all.
Did I get the wrong cable? I had to get one with the screw fitting around the end of the cable at the tire end.

Yes I can turn the handlebars as the cable is attached to the forks and moves as a unit.
There is zero slack.
I have it going thru the round wire at the bottom of caliper and up thru the loop on the fender and up to the speedo.

boy that's a tough call, zero slack with no weight on it or with the forks compressed? while riding your front will lift from time to time,dips in the road, acceleration etc...I would set it on the side stand then turn the wheel all the way right and pull up on the handlebars and feel if the forks hits the stops or stops when the cable goes taught.
forks should be able to rise all the way the the internal stops without pulling on the cable...if it doesn't then I think your fine.

From the top of the screw on cap to speedo---to the bottom on the plastic end at the wheel is 35 3/4 inches.

If I put the wheel end on first then I can get the screw at the speedo on- Very tight. I can not get it on going from speedo to wheel.

I bought a later model cable with the different end and swapped it over with the end off my old 81 cable and it was quite a bit longer with a massive S bend in it but it does work ok. One of these days I will purchase another replacement earlier cable that fits properly :yes:

I did not know they came in different lengths. I used my parts catalog for the number. They do not give any measurements in it.

#44830-mb9-780 cable assy, speedometer

I did get the bike on the road today. about 80 miles. Feels good to be back on an 1100. I found I do not need to replace the springs or shocks. Bumps were non existent. Very smooth ride. Filled tank up with sea foam and atv and of course gas. about 80 miles and the needle says I only used a 1/4 tank. So maybe this one will be better gas mileage than my old one. I just need to know what speed I am going.
I just wished I had brakes. I have 1/4 of the brakes. part of the front and very little on the back. Down shifting to stop. I have used mighty vac and a big bottle of brake fluid and still have very little brake.
Next on my list is to find out why the stereo and cb do not make any sound. The po has 4 speakers on it. 2 in the normal place and 2 on the trunk rack. After that after I have ridden it for a while I'll tear it apart and do the alternator addition. I need my heated gear to ride in the fall and winter.

This fall or next spring the c5 will be added.

Too bad you live so far away, :roll: brakes are pretty simple, & would help you sort it out. :whistling:

I understand temporarily suspending an important system like brakes for the sake of checking out the engines performance but it is dangerous.

In motorcycling your "whoa" is even more important than your "go".

Thats why ultra fast sportbikes have such incredibly powerful brakes. But even riding any type motorcycle, with all the clueless and distracted drivers among other hazards, brakes are critical to survival.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172411#p172411:3ok3q9oq said:
Terry » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:45 am[/url]":3ok3q9oq]
I understand temporarily suspending an important system like brakes for the sake of checking out the engines performance but it is dangerous.

In motorcycling your "whoa" is even more important than your "go".

Thats why ultra fast sportbikes have such incredibly powerful brakes. But even riding any type motorcycle, with all the clueless and distracted drivers among other hazards, brakes are critical to survival.

:yes: What he said....I would limit the riding on that bike to zero until u have a solid braking system.

Latest posts