'83 GL1100 Smokes - but only after warm-up!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dperkins

Reaction score
So young, and smoking already:
I've got a 1983 GL1100i that sat for a few years (last ran about 2013), stored, in a garage, level, on a motorcycle support jack, turned over regularly to oil pressure, but not started. Just 26,000(ish) miles on the odometer.

I went through a single-carb conversion, and just got it running yesterday. Starts/runs well (need a little work still on the conversion, but it starts/runs/idles smooth on the first click of the starter and does not backfire). It does not overheat. All the cylinders appear to be firing well.

The oil level is midway between the marks on the crankcase. I'm pretty sure the crankcase breather is operational.

It does not smoke when it starts or when it's cold. But once it warms up it gradually starts to smoke (blue - oil). A lot. Both banks.

Anybody out there want to lend an opinion? Anybody ever seen this?

Thanks,
dperkins

your burning off oil in the exhaust pipe or pipes useally the one on side stand side smokes the most ...just let it run and burn off keep an eye on it ...you dont want to let it get hot as fan might not cut on like its suppose to ....your in fine shape im thinking

I suppose that's entirely possible...I did squirt oil into the spark plug holes before turning it over when in storage, and some had to leak down into the pipes.

Thanks for helping me climb down...I owe you.

dperkins

I picked up an 83I with 62xxxkm. Did the same as you described. Not sure if mine has 162xxx or 62xxx. PO said it was original mileage.
The valve guides were worn beyond specs. Replaced heads with valves in spec and replaced valve seals. No smoke now after $$$ and labor. Good luck.

Any long run updates? I figure if it's oil in the pipes a couple long runs would have them clear now.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Turns out it was just oil left in the exhaust manifold after storage. Started it, ran it for about a half-hour (with it billowing smoke all over the neighborhood - every fiber in my being wanted to shut if off!), got it hot enough to cycle the radiator fan on, and it cleared up. Now it starts with nary a puff.

Thanks for the help.

dperkins

Latest posts