3 ohm Green dyna coils on an 1100?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pony Ruiz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've got some 3 ohm green dyna coils I'd like to put on my 1100.

The stock coils are on now and have a ballast resistor.

I've gotten conflicted on this subject. Keep the ballast resistor or not?

Dyna electronic ignition on a 1000 - no ballast resistor.

1100 has electronic ignition - why no ballast resistor? If its electronic and has a ballast resistor then I'm guessing I need to re-install the b.r. with the green coils, but I'm guessing.

I did a little research but got the same conflicting info.

Anybody have the green coils on? B.R. or no B.R?

Thanks~!

80-81 had no resistor, 82-83 had a resistor. Both were lower ohm coils than the Dyna. Neon coils are working really well on 1100's. Electrical gurus will have to correct me, but I believe higher resistance coils have a slower rise time. Using 3 ohm coils with a resistor should protect ignition components, but might not keep up with spark intensity needed at higher rpm.

well maybe I'll go with those then... I thought the dyna's were ok for 1100's too. I was going to use on my 1000 but I think I'll go with the C5. I had the dyna coils, new H. points plate and hondaman setup ready to go but I think I like the C5 upgrade. A friend has this set up and likes it but he had a couple issues with it and took a long time to resolve. I do have the benefit of his discovery so there is that.

I'm trying to get a little more jump out of the 1100 - the coils are 33 yrs old for cryin out loud!

what year Neon coils? So go to napa and ask for "neon" coils?

what do those go for? Are there any issues with the mounting brackets / fitment

Thanks!

hmmmmm seems you have all the set ups choices there .....ive never seen the hondaman set up on a bike always wanted to try one before c5 came out .....dont kno much about the dyna set up either ...but neither im sure is as good as c5 is

C5 is best- period. Cost??? I got neon coils off EBay new for &20. You just need an plug adapter for it and ignore the numbers on them as they had a different firing order. Wire it just like the 1100, hot wire in the middle trigger wire for 1-2 cylinders for one side of coils and 3-4 trigger for the other side.

yes c5 is the best ever after market product .....just like the SCC is the best mod one with some skill can do ...to get better induction system .....the impact they have on wings is huge ...

If I go the C5 route on the 1100 I understand I need to either tap the end of the cam or use earlier cams.

Well before I knew that the proper way to swap out cams is swap the rockrs too I bought some 77 cams. I did meet an ole' machinist guy at a bike rally that might could drill the 1100's for me. But, my question is this: If I use 77 cams in the 83 rockers am I going to have issues? I mean if all things considered it ain't no biggie I'll use them. If its a purist thing and not much will happen in the next 25k miles or whatever then why not use them.
If its not really a good idea and if its something that's going to be in the back of my mind when I'm trippin throught the outback then I'll have the stock one drilled.

Any thoughts/opinions?

most likely not ...hooch is done this way ..it has 1100 heads 76 cams ...the total myths of disinfo on things is a huge beast to combat...you will be fine pony im betting ....it is also a good time to switch the shafts around to get new shafts for the rockers to run on .... hooches motor runs so quiet ....early cams and c5 will be huge upgrade for the 1100 motor ....

I think the primary resistance on the stock coils is about .7 ohms and I think the ballast resistor is about 2 ohms for a total of close to 3 ohms. That is to limit the primary current to about 4 amps which the ignitors can switch without harming them.

So if the green Dyna coils have 3 ohms resistance then you should be able to do away with the ballast resistor. IMHO

Brian

Well......

I've gone back to plan A. I am putting the Dyna coils on the 1000 as planned (after i figure out why the gauges aren't getting power). My Gl elec. guru friend is coming to the rescue (hopefully) tomorrow. It's going to get points and the hondaman setup.

Cause I pulled the trigger on a C5 :clapping:

I have some 77 cams I am going to use. I did manage to find some with the rockers and a few other parts i'll be selling. I may use the other 77's on the 1000 or see if any of you want them. If I like the way that bike turns out and the c5 i will spring for one for it as well. All in all - still cheaper than the $6k I was thinking of spending on a newer bike and still might :good: but not just yet.

Carb issues notwithstanding (stuck cv slider or a clogged jet), at least I won't have to worry about ignition.

So I will be needing help! I can follow directions for the most part but I'm not a mechanic. I might be a little mechanical but I don't have the motor / elec. background (understanding) so hopefully with ya'lls help I will get it done. I am learning and will continue to do so.

I guess I'm stuck with this bike for awhile longer. I looked at upgrading to a newer fuel injected/abs bike and still might but I came to the conclusion I didn't want to do it cause the GL isn't running right. I was kinda p.oed at it since it was running great and then who knows wth happened and here I am. Fortunately, I've always nursed it back home. I know one thing I'm kinda sick of pulling carbs but I'll suck it up.

Latest posts