Engine knock

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludwig

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my engine developed a knock and I couldn't find the problem. I tried syncing the carbs but it still knocked. So I went to adjust the valves and when I went to take off the adjustment cap from the back of the stator housing it was gone, so was the 12x40 bolt. So I went to order a new bolt and cap from partzilla and sure enough the bolt is obsolete. They had the cap though. So I searched eBay and there were only three available. So I purchased one from someone in California, it got to MD. In 4 days. The cap came from GA. That took 6 days go figure. Anyway I put in the bolt and cap and started the engine and the knock was gone. I ran it 1-200 Miles and it started knocking again. I opened it up to find the bolt was loose again. I tried tightening it with the plugs in and while it was in gear, I got it as tight as I can and started it, now it sounds like a sewing machine. I'm afraid that it will come loose again so the only other thing I can think of is to hold the crank bolt while trying to tighten it. Maybe evan use some thread locker on it. I'll try what ever it takes to not have to take the engine out. Just thought I'd share my adventures. Thanks

Try putting it in high gear and locking the rear brake somehow. Helper maybe? Use lock tite on the bolt threads and try to get it torqued to specs.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=182964#p182964:10zegng8 said:
ludwig » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:11 am[/url]":10zegng8]
I will have the threads clean enough to eat off of.
Loctite make a primer spray that really makes a difference. I hardly use mine but in special applications as it makes for a perfect bond.

That bolt get torqued to a very high value of 58-69 ft.lbs. If you cannot get it torqued to that it will continue to come lose. I would avoid putting lock-tight on that piece, or at least not the "permanent" type anyway. If it continues to come lose and knock you could damage the stator, then you have no choice but to pull the engine, which is not a huge deal but it is inconvenient.

This is one of the reasons I always turn the motor by the crank bolt instead of the stator bolt.

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=999&image_id=10732

Problem I've had is how to get that much torque on it in the tight space because rotating it to torque has to first take up the slack whether held by crank bolt and especially by the brake pedal. Mine came loose a couple times and the only thing that worked finally was using blue loctite on threads first cleaned with brake cleaner.

Latest posts