The Wanderer - Part 2

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185533#p185533:1jox2wda said:
made2care » 15 minutes ago[/url]":1jox2wda]
Here she is, i named her ; "The Wanderer" Part 2 coming soon ........... :rocks:
Looking forward to following along your progress.

I have to stay busy on my days off. So here goes: tackled the carbs today, 2 are done . #3 had lots of debri.
Soaked tank in evaporust for 3 days. Gave up on the vinegar. Tomorrow I hope to complete carbs, install tank and fire her up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 349
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 352
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 348
Familiar work when you been there before. :smilie_happy: Youll be on the road soon at this rate. :good:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185600#p185600:xm7030il said:
mcgovern61 » 12 minutes ago[/url]":xm7030il]
Topic has been split off so we can watch the progress on The Wanderer Part 2!
Thanks Gerry.

Well, shoot. Little bit of a setback today. My last day before I go back to work. Really enjoyed my 2 weeks off.
I drained the gas tank yesterday after it had soaked for a few days in Evapo-rust. Coated it with some ATF thinking it would not Flash rust, sure enough when I checked it this morning, Presto !! it had Flash rusted :crying: I'm soaking it again ............. :rant:
Anyway, I will finish up the last 2 carbs today and then hopefully this weekend I can get her started.

A few things to note on this Wanderer:

- I think this bike is in really good shape, meaning I don't believe anyone has jacked with the carbs nor the engine as was with Wanderer 1. The little float valve screens were still in place :yes: dirty , but there.

I will keep the pics coming of course. The gas tank has been repainted and looks like new :music:

Don't understand that, :headscratch: coated mine with A T F after muriatic acid bath. :good: Several years of use, & no rust, :nea: plus the one that's put away, still looks fine. :yes:Don't be stingy with the A T F :smilie_happy:

I'm late to the afterparty, congrats on your new project. Having been too late to see the craigslist ad...could you review the pertinent specs. So I know the starting point?
From the pics I'm guessing '81 or 82. How's the mileage? Is there much wear on the rear drive gears?

I understand your need for a project, my bikes are all packed away to make space for a different task and I'm missing a bike to work on, I shall live vicariously through yours for this one. My last gas tank vinegar soak took 3 weeks but worked out very well.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185676#p185676:3s15a4k7 said:
kerryb » Today, 8:54 am[/url]":3s15a4k7]
I'm late to the afterparty, congrats on your new project. Having been too late to see the craigslist ad...could you review the pertinent specs. So I know the starting point?
From the pics I'm guessing '81 or 82. How's the mileage? Is there much wear on the rear drive gears?

I understand your need for a project, my bikes are all packed away to make space for a different task and I'm missing a bike to work on, I shall live vicariously through yours for this one. My last gas tank vinegar soak took 3 weeks but worked out very well.

1980, 44,000. Splines are good.

Today will hopefully be constructive. The gas tank is sparkly clean, back in the bike and topped off with fresh gas and Stabil.

I have almost completed the carbs, still have to set floats which I have never done but will follow online tutorial.

Attach rear wheel and fire her up !! Will post video later. :good:

Installed carbs. Bike took a while to start but finally did. Will post video tomorrow.

Next up, must find a stock muffler.

Could remove those decorator cans and install slip ons of your choice. Take off Harley mufflers are often cheap.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=185744#p185744:3rk74vr7 said:
slabghost » Today, 7:40 pm[/url]":3rk74vr7]
Could remove those decorator cans and install slip ons of your choice. Take off Harley mufflers are often cheap.

Good idea.

I have a problem !! Just started smelling gas. checked the phlenum and there is some gas in there. I did forget to attach a small hose to the carbs , so maybe that's it. The carbs were cleaned, floats were good at 15.5. I'm hoping its not the phlenum gasket.