Torque specs

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr moe

Reaction score
Got new water pump into cover, orings in right places, gaskets
all scraped off and cover mounted.
Nowhere in the book does it mention torque specs. and tighten sequence for the cover bolts
Can anyone help?
Thanks Moe

I come from the- if there are small diameter bolts going onto aluminum and gaskets and orings to seal I like to have it torqued as designed. But ---- it there are no specs.then out comes the bolt size torque chart.
Thanks

Bolt size torque chart will work. Large pieces I prefer to start with X tightening the center 4 bolts continuing outward. After all bolts have been started in their proper places.

What works for me is to tighten carefully, tighter and tighter and tighter, little by little until you hear a snap. Then back off a quarter turn and hang a for sale sign on it.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186984#p186984:1mhe7es3 said:
ekvh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:03 am[/url]":1mhe7es3]
What works for me is to tighten carefully, tighter and tighter and tighter, little by little until you hear a snap. Then back off a quarter turn and hang a for sale sign on it.

Oooo that good! :smilie_happy:

There's a lot to be said for "feel" in tightening those little bolts but if you must torque with a wrench, use an inch pound and not a foot pound wrench. Foot pound wrenches not accurate at those low numbers and you'll be crying after one strips threads.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186993#p186993:8upa64ol said:
dan filipi » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:11 pm[/url]":8upa64ol]
There's a lot to be said for "feel" in tightening those little bolts but if you must torque with a wrench, use an inch pound and not a foot pound wrench. Foot pound wrenches not accurate at those low numbers and you'll be crying after one strips threads.

Boy isn't that the truth, especially since the engine block is aluminum and the bolts are steal.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186984#p186984:sxih89xc said:
ekvh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:03 am[/url]":sxih89xc]

I gotta respectfully disagree.....you tighten the fastener until the gasket just squishes out, and just BEFORE it snaps... :rtfm: :Doh2:

:smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

that works ..built in torque clicker ...ive really seen some over tighten oldwing stuff ...i guess many are trained on Harley ...everything loosens up on them or breaks LOL ...ive never seem a bike throw more stuff off than my buddies screaming eagle 1200 solid mount bike ...

Take a look on Goldwingdocs, in GL110 DIY articles.

They say 9 ft/lbs in the sequence shown. Mine is leak-free 2 years later with no wrist damage at all!

Attachments

• torque sequence.jpg
    torque sequence.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts