82' Rear Master Cylinder Replacement/Backwards Compatability

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardfry19

Reaction score
well, I haven't been on in a while, and I lost some steam on my project aspencade. some parts may have collected some dust, on a shelf, forgotten. however, this year i'm feeling determined to get the ol' girl breathing again. unfortunately, i'm gonna have to work in stages due to my budget, i'll be lucky if i get it going by fall.

i'm starting with the rear brakes, or whats lacking.
the rear master cyl. isn't salvageable, as far as i know. the plunger corroded and expanded inside the bore, while bottomed out, making it impossible to remove without potentially damaging everything else. I'm curious if anyone has a take on this, because a rebuild kit is cheaper than even a used master cyl..

if i can use a different master cyl. that is easier to get, that would be ok to. i'm not very experienced with motorcycles, so i'm a bit foggy on what can go with what.(i"m more of a 4 wheel guy)

any information would be appreciated, i'm a sponge, lets do this

Unfortunately, the '82 rear master cylinder is a one-year only part, as the rear caliper was changed to a dual-piston setup. The '83 uses a linked brake system, so its rear master is also a one-year wonder.

There are ways to extract a stuck piston. Compressed air or hydraulic pressure sometimes works, or you can drill a hole in the center of the piston, thread in a self-tapping screw and pull it out. Let it soak in PB Blaster for a few days. That has worked for me several times. I've also had good luck finding rebuildable masters on Ebay, or someone here might have one.

Best of luck with it!

80 or 81 master will probably fit if you can find one. Although it may not be correctly sized to the caliper.You may be able to loosen the piston enough to remove soaked in vinegar for a bit or possibly solvent of some kind. Maybe a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner would loosen it enough to remove. Beyond that you may be able to make an adapter plate and use a master from another model bike.

Failing that, I've got a whole bunch of CB900 parts on my mongrel, especially brakes, switches and lights.

Gives you another option to search by.

Mr Honda was far too profit orientated to waste money on something that was only good for one year model.

Latest posts