83 1100 SEAT

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no clue that the different year bikes 80-83 had different front seat attachments.

I have an 83 and bought a 80-82 seat because it had the back rest in the seat.

I put the seat on the bike and it was really hard to get the seat tongue to fit in the bottom rail.

I have searched and found that the 83 was different. But did not find out how to make the earlier seat work on the 83.

Any body have any thoughts on this problem of mine? Any one else run into this??

Maybe use washers under the bracket to raise it for better fit? Might work until you find one from an earlier model.

It is not a height problem. It is the tongue on the seat will not fit in the rails that are attached to the false tank. I tried grinding the tongue down but that will not work.
It is like putting a square peg in a round hole.

I had no Idea they where different, I can't actually believe I got away with that one.

Usually, this kind of thing sends me into (at least) a $500 tailspin experience.

Just like the brakes, the instruments and the camshafts did.

All I know is only the 83 seat is longer, if one tries to put a 83 model seat on an 80/81/82 the trunk hits the seat`s back, didn't know the mounts were different, same reason why wingers use the rear rack from a 83 to get more backseat room.

I have an 82 seat on my 83. A buddy gave it to me from a parts bike that had been a wreck. The tab was completely broken off.....it fits just fine. It's bolted down in the rear...it aint going anywhere!

HERE ARE 2 PICS. Really can not see the problem from a photo.
Trying to stuff the seat into the false tank just does not work.

I had quit using the 2 back screws on the seat for many years.

seat 039.JPG

seat 040.JPG

I have an 1100 seat that was mounted on a 1000 that I have as a spare seat. The tongue was cut off completely. To use it on my 1100, I just made my own tongue out of two pieces of flat metal and bolted them to the seat. I just spaced them the same width as the channel.

That looks like a Travelcade seat. I have a Travelcade road sofa and if I tighten my tank down too tight, it will not fit through at the tongue. I leave the bolts about 1/2 turn loose and then I can force the seat in.

As far as I know all factory 1100 seats use the same base. The 83 seat has the same rider section as the 81-82 but a longer passenger section to take advantage of the set back trunk. They did this by making a smaller lip/back stop at the end of the seat. I'm using an 82 seat on my 83 but had to carve the foam at the passenger back lip about an inch back so the wife could sit upright, otherwise she would have had to slouch back to use the trunk backrest.

Latest posts