Engine Guards - 1981 GL1100 Standard

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgovern61

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
Former '82 GL1100 "The Slug"
I had an inquiry regarding my '81 1100 Standard that is for sale. He noted that they valve covers and timing belt covers are aftermarket chrome (which I already knew as stated in my ad). He is interested in a 100% original OEM 1981 GL1100 Standard. I mentioned I could get original covers and the engine guards if that would make the sale. He claimed the original '81 1100 Standard did not have engine guards? :shock:

I though the engine guards were standard equipment on all 1100's. I took a look in the parts fiche and sure enough, there is no part listed for the Standard, only for the Interstate and Aspy's. Before I go making anymore assumptions, can anyone else confirm whether the Standards did not come with engine guards? :doh: :laptop:

I cannot verify one way or the other. However if he's happy without them. Just remove them. My 81 came to me with a Vetter fairing and engine guards that wrap around to the rear of the valve covers.

Whether they were standard or not, the engine design looks wonderful without them. The downside is that it's also pretty tender without them.

It sure is a gamble I'm willing to take. There are a very few guards that are not very obtrusive, but not many. Most ruin the look of the motor in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies guys! I know I NEED them for long trips to put my feet up and stretch out. :hihihi:

If he wants OEM look and is willing to buy the bike, I will consider replacing the covers with OEM.

Brian, I replied to the PM.

Latest posts