Brain fade during the fitting of a new rear Shinko 230

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
It was just under three years ago when I fitted the last rear tyre to the Rats Nest and I just got stuck into it without planning or researching the procedure first. After I already had the axle loose, rear brake support arm and lower shock mounts I realised that I had forgotten to pack up the centre stand to raise the rear wheel so there is enough room to slide it out. Luckily the engine crane and the ATV lift were still handy from working on the BMW so I was able to raise the bike up enough for the rear wheel to come out. More brain fade when I finally realised that the rear wheel on an early Goldwing requires the differential being unbolted from the housing to remove it. As Val was the last rear that I was playing with ( Gl1500c doesn't require the diff to be unbolted) I was trying to figure out why the rear wheel on the Rats Nest wouldn't come out without removing the diff. :head bang:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191866#p191866:2xg8qxhs said:
Ansimp » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 am[/url]":2xg8qxhs]
... I finally realised that the rear wheel on an early Goldwing requires the differential being unbolted from the housing to remove it. ... I was trying to figure out why the rear wheel on the Rats Nest wouldn't come out without removing the diff. :head bang:
:headscratch: :headscratch:
Uh....the diff doesn't have to be unbolted or anything on mine to get the rear tire/wheel off. Let the air out of the tire first. You KNOW I have done that particular job more than once, and have never needed to mess with anything on the diff except pulling the axle thru.
Has the Rat's Nest gone to the darkside? :headscratch:

I always took the diff off when I had the 1100 diff on it... now you tell us that we wouldn't need to? Gee some help you are! And you call yourself the resident expert on rear tire changes... sheez! :smilie_happy:

Seriously though, that is good to know. With the 1100 darksided, the car tire fits in and out of the 1200 swingarm and diff without unbolting the diff. It's a tight fit, but it will fit: I loosen the nuts just to make it easier.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191882#p191882:1kbpa3at said:
brianinpa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 am[/url]":1kbpa3at]
I always took the diff off when I had the 1100 diff on it... now you tell us that we wouldn't need to? Gee some help you are! And you call yourself the resident expert on rear tire changes... sheez! :smilie_happy:

Well garsh....I assumed everyone knew.... :blush:
:hihihi:

The diff on mine has never been loosened or unbolted for anything...at least not since I've had it. The tire will slide right out with the air out of it fairly easily. Going back in with a fully inflated tire is a bit more interesting, but I always let the air out first. ALL of this is assuming using the original size tire, of course. A wider profile tire would prolly incur some difficulties. Individual results may vary..... :BigGrin:

Same here. I have never loosened the diff. But, I have on occasion needed more than a few choice words to finesse the danged thing out and in. I can see where loosening it WOULD make the job a little less dramatic. But, really, it only takes a little finesse (OK force) to jam it back in place. Somebody said airing down the tire. Maybe that would help. I've not done that either.

I did think about airing down the tyre but with only three nuts on the diff I though they would both take about the same amount of time. When I had the diff out I was able to clean the old Moly from the splines and seal area easily. It also made it a lot easier to get the fresh moly on.

I will never be allowed to forget the last time I put the rear wheel back in mine! See. I always had my neighbor lean against the fairing for fear of pushing it off the center stand. But on this occasion he was on vacation.

So I called my buddy Karl, and he invited our friend Bob, (both of whom are big into Harley's) 'cos I guess it made for a good beer drinking excuse.

Well we fight it, as usual, for a while and it ain't going in, so we decide to swap ends and see if he gets any better luck. meanwhile I go in the house to freshen Budweiser cans, when I come out the damn things in!! Bob swears he never went near it and Karl did it on his own.

Now I don't know if he just held his mouth right, or if he just didn't give a S#!T if the bike got pushed off the stand or not. Caused some friction for a while, did that.

Now of course the banter is, "you Honda guys ask for help at the least opportunity". :fiddle:

But no! I never heard of, or thought of, dropping the final drive out to do it. Sure wished I had!!

Latest posts