Smoking when on side stand

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy45

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've noticed that when I put the oldwing on the side statd and leave it to warm up (in the mornings before riding to work) it smokes for a while on the left side. Is this normal?

Thanks
Ben

Yes it's normal as oil seeps past the rings into the combustion area. Some say it's oil getting past the valve guides and seals. I don't believe that to be true. I find keeping the oil level around mid site glass it doesn't happen.

Could be two things. One, the oil is overfilled and is being picked up and burning as the bike is leaning over. But, more often than not, the floats are sticking in the carbs or are not set correctly and excess gas is burning. If you get a whiff of the smoke, you should be able to tell.

What I have found is that when it is gas, it also causes a hard start after warmed up or at first start after sitting. When it starts, you might hear a tiny "knock" or pop.

Overfilled oil is easy to see. Put the bike on the centerstand and look into the oil level window (bottom right side of engine under the exhaust). The oil level should not be above the center of the wiper screw with the engine off. If it is, it could be too much oil at filling or, more importantly, there is gas going into the oil from the carbs leaking. This is what happened to me on my '81 1100 engine.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191932#p191932:3bexsgmq said:
mcgovern61 » Today, 7:21 am[/url]":3bexsgmq]
Could be two things. One, the oil is overfilled and is being picked up and burning as the bike is leaning over. But, more often than not, the floats are sticking in the carbs or are not set correctly and excess gas is burning. If you get a whiff of the smoke, you should be able to tell.

What I have found is that when it is gas, it also causes a hard start after warmed up or at first start after sitting. When it starts, you might hear a tiny "knock" or pop.

Overfilled oil is easy to see. Put the bike on the centerstand and look into the oil level window (bottom right side of engine under the exhaust). The oil level should not be above the center of the wiper screw with the engine off. If it is, it could be too much oil at filling or, more importantly, there is gas going into the oil from the carbs leaking. This is what happened to me on my '81 1100 engine.

I just checked and the oil level it is over the top mark. I wasn't sure, I was thinking the window was dirty and started the wing then I saw the oil moving, I shut it off then I was able to see the level it is to high. I was scheduling an oil change on 200 more miles but I will do it this weekend.

I'm in my third gas tank now and I had a feeling that the wing was sucking a lot of gas. I did a research and some other post recomend to wait for more gas tanks for the engine to settle down, since I just woke up this wing from an 8 year sleep.

How can I know if carbs are leaking gas into the engine? could a bad pump be the issue? what was the problem with your wing?

Thanks
Ben

There is a very good chance you have gas mixed into your oil. I would not run the bike like that! Gas will remove the lubricity from the oil and will wash out your bearings. Crack open your oil filter housing and let some oil out and smell it. You might be able to smell the gas. Either way, if you did not put that much oil in, it is most likely gas and oil now. (Not uncommon with leaking carbs).

How can I know if carbs are leaking gas into the engine? could a bad pump be the issue? what was the problem with your wing?

Ben, no, it has nothing to do with a bad pump.

There are several ways to know if gas is leaking. The easiest way is to pull the plugs and look at them. They can be wet with gas and will smell like gas.

You can take your air filter off and look into the bottom of the plenum and see if there is raw gas.

Lastly, you can disconnect the intake horns, lift the carbs and see if there is gas dripping. The issue doing this is you may need to replace the intake o-rings afterwards.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191936#p191936:rmf5wtnz said:
mcgovern61 » 5 minutes ago[/url]":rmf5wtnz]

Ben, no, it has nothing to do with a bad pump.

There are several ways to know if gas is leaking. The easiest way is to pull the plugs and look at them. They can be wet with gas and will smell like gas.

You can take your air filter off and look into the bottom of the plenum and see if there is raw gas.

Lastly, you can disconnect the intake horns, lift the carbs and see if there is gas dripping. The issue doing this is you may need to replace the intake o-rings afterwards.

I just checked and carb 3 is dripping on the accel pump and the drain screw and see traces of dry fuel over the engine case on the right side! :head bang:

I have the oldwing parked outside my work place. Would it be a problem to drive it back home its a 15 min drive? :crying:
Ok, looks like something to work on over the weekend.

Thanks for the help!
Ben

Open the oil fill cap and smell it. If it smells of gas. It would be better to change the oil before running it.

Have looked at several owner's manuals, 1000/1100/1200 and Honda recommends that the fuel shutoff valve be in the "off" position (no fuel flow) when the bike is not started or being used. The only exception it seems is the '85 and '86 fuel injected models. The fuel shut off valve is used when doing maintenance on the fuel system, not at other times.

Cheers

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191945#p191945:2144f2ty said:
Rednaxs60 » 36 minutes ago[/url]":2144f2ty]
Have looked at several owner's manuals, 1000/1100/1200 and Honda recommends that the fuel shutoff valve be in the "off" position (no fuel flow) when the bike is not started or being used. The only exception it seems is the '85 and '86 fuel injected models. The fuel shut off valve is used when doing maintenance on the fuel system, not at other times.

Cheers

Yes, I try to make that a normal practice, excep for 2 or 3 times that I have forgot to close it but I normaly do.

Thanks!
Ben

When I park the bike in the garage, I also put a piece of wood under the side stand so the bike is more vertical. It used to smoke a bit on first start of the day, but this seems to help as well.

Best investment I have made yet (in my opinion) for parking my bike is a Bates ride-off stand. It always keeps the bike upright, is super easy to get the bike on the stand and I don't have to worry about leaving the bike on a side stand.

image.php

image.php

(I'm not saying it solves carb problems, but it is a lot easier starting.)

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191951#p191951:ug5amfet said:
mcgovern61 » 15 minutes ago[/url]":ug5amfet]
Best investment I have made yet (in my opinion) for parking my bike is a Bates ride-off stand. It always keeps the bike upright, is super easy to get the bike on the stand and I don't have to worry about leaving the bike on a side stand.

image.php

image.php

(I'm not saying it solves carb problems, but it is a lot easier starting.)

Nice, I like how the GW standard looks with bags :good: :moped:

Yeah, well I'll start checking on the oil and try to find out if there is gasoline in it. I will also go for an oil change this week end.

Latest posts