2 Issues horn and fan?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I have been working on a 1981 1100 trike conversion and have it just about done. When I got it the horn worked fine. Now when I push the button it tries to work or will honk and quit. But if I unhook one horn it will work just fine and it doesn't make any difference which one I unhook. On the fan issue It worked fine last fall when I tried it out and today it got warm on a short ride and I noticed the fan wasn't running. My thought is to unhook wires and try to hot wire to see if the fan is working if it is then I am guessing sensor? Any help one these issues would be great. Thanks JohnB

John, on the horn it can be two things. One, not enough voltage or two one of the horn diaphragms is stuck. The voltage is a big one because it can indicate your battery is low, the stator is not working or the voltage regulator is not working. Each of those items could just be from a battery getting low on voltage or the connections at each item are dirty. Without 12.1 VDC, both horn trumpets will not work.

But the most common thing is water in the horn rusting the diaphragms.

On the fan, what level was the temp gauge at? if it was way past half on the gauge and the fan did not come on, I would suspect an issue. You can hot wire it to test it, but it is best to confirm whether the temp switch is working. Here is a video for testing:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rRb5cPAj4k[/video]

Thanks for the quick response I will have a busy day tomorrow testing . I kinda have my back against the wall. The trike is for my son and we are to load his trike and my trike on a trailer the 26th and deliver it to him in Everett Wa. so I hope things are not too tough to fix. When I noticed the gauge was just below the red and the fan was not on.. The horn issue will be secondary to fix Voltage should be ok as has a new battery oh well wish me luck. John

If each horn works when only one connected then you have a voltage problem.
Clean the horn button with an electric aresol. Could be your contacts are dirty.
If that does not work then review Dan's video on cleaning the buttons as there are some little springs in there.

Could have low voltage in the harness. I had problems like this and felt the glass fuses in the fuse panel getting hot. After replacing the fuse panel with a blade type and putting a relay on its main power feed, all the lights got brighter and horn blew loud.
Check main harness grounds as well as the battery to engine ground. Need to be clean and tight on bare metal.

Ok I unhooked the fan and ran a jumper wire and it runs so #1 if I pull the switch to test do I have to drain the system? #2 Checked the horns and both were clean inside cleaned contacts. Will check grounds later today. What is that switch cleaning video mentioned above listed under did search but did not come up ? Thanks John

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191982#p191982:1ah5dcte said:
JohnB1953 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:16 am[/url]":1ah5dcte]
Ok I unhooked the fan and ran a jumper wire and it runs so #1 if I pull the switch to test do I have to drain the system? #2 Checked the horns and both were clean inside cleaned contacts. Will check grounds later today. What is that switch cleaning video mentioned above listed under did search but did not come up ? Thanks John
Yes, the coolant needs to be dropped (at least below the coolant crossover) to pull the switch.

We have a video tutorial forum for the switch testing and type of things. In the forum index, scroll down to resources and then the visual tutorials.

index.php

viewforum.php?f=68

Ok here is how my day went. I cleaned the horns and connections and they now work. I hooked up a bypass on the fan switch and am going to try it tomorrow. Is there an aftermarket switch that replaces the Honda one? If I could get one locally I would try to fix it. and at the same time probably change the thermostat just as a precaution. Thanks John

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=191996#p191996:28hnp403 said:
JohnB1953 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:08 pm[/url]":28hnp403]
Ok here is how my day went. I cleaned the horns and connections and they now work. I hooked up a bypass on the fan switch and am going to try it tomorrow. Is there an aftermarket switch that replaces the Honda one? If I could get one locally I would try to fix it. and at the same time probably change the thermostat just as a precaution. Thanks John
I am thinking some here have used an automotive sensor, type temperature sensor into the forum search but beware of the ones they sell new on ebay for 30-50 dollars, I bought one and it was too small threads to fit, there are some that are an actual Honda part but they were selling for 100 bucks or so...I ended up rolling the dice and bought a used one and it worked.
If you buy new make sure it is a Honda part. this seems like a good price, lot cheaper then when I needed one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HONDA-GOLDW ... cp&vxp=mtr

Latest posts