front tire

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilidawg

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my front wheel out to fix the speedo and under the lights of the shop, I can't help but notice the cracks in between the treads of the old trusty Continental super twin that you can't get anymore. So I'm thinking about swapping it out.

I absolutely love my rear Michelin Commander II and am looking to pair them up, I can only find though, a 110-90-18 in it, (they still don't make a 120) I'm thinking how could 10mm on the width be such a problem when you're getting a much better performing tire than Dunlop ever gave me.

Not being a novice since about 45 years ago, I that know thinner front tires react faster and are more susceptible to grooves and keys in the highway. But is 10mm in width really gonna hurt that bad?

Has anyone here ever used a slightly slimmer tire on the front?

Standard width on the Rats Nest is 110 but in a 19". Does tramtrack if you let it in the ugly stuff but I don't seem to notice it too much. That being said Val feels like she would almost stand up by herself with her much wider feet. 150/80 x 17 on the front.

I had a 100/90 put on about 10 years ago at the dealer and did it myself recently; replacing it with a 110/90. A very noticeable difference that I will never reverse. FWIW, Dave

So the '81 came with a 19" front wheel, I did not know that, I thought they went to 19" with the '83 11 spoke, hmm!

But anyway, sounds like I won't be loosing much, cos the 120 also grabs the ugly stuff, if it's bad enough.

That might be because the Continental has a lot of straight line grooves though, the commander is a lot more slick

Dave. I don't ever plan on going to a 100 width, being brought up on Dunlop TT100's, teaches you to hate skinny tires.

But if the 110 has been standard at some point, and you like a 110, I don't see why I shouldn't end up with an awesome pair of tires.

Thanks for your input guys! I think I'm gonna try it.

Com-star or 11 spoke rim? And to be totally honest, I don't know which way around the aspect ratio works, so I was sticking with the 90.

But its all kinda academic now anyway, cos I ordered it yesterday.

But I am still interested in the rim you put it on?

11 spoke cast wheel on my 83... i was worried it would be too wide but another inmate on this or the Docs forum assured me it would fit....he was correct!

The reason I asked is because I never new they made an 18" 11 spoke.

I thought they were all 19's! But that aside, the 110 arrived today and man. It does look thin!!

Latest posts