83 trac

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they change the setting on the front lower forks on the 83 wing?

I have changed mine and I see no difference in any of the settings.

What is the trac supposed to do?

Just wondering.

The Trac is suppose to give some adjustment to reduce dive when applying the front brake.
I don't notice much difference either but when I first opened it up to service the forks, a metallic disk with a seal was bent out of shape. I bent it back but it's possible it still hasn't been working like it should.

It's suppose to be anti-dive system to vary the amount of downward travel of the front suspension under braking. I've changed mine several times and did not find any significant difference, but it's something that's hard to tell how well it works when your panic braking to keep from hitting the side of a car. :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

I had seen a diagram on the trac system someplace, maybe here but I know it is out there, worked pretty well on my CB1100F but it wasn't as heavy as the GL. The plunger that engages it is on the forks where the caliper bracket bolts on, usually the little rubber boots get torn exposing the plunger, maybe one or both of yours or may need rebuilt/cleaned out but maybe working as it should and not making a notable difference. Could also be weak springs hiding any difference but don`t want to send you on a goose chase since I havent experienced a proper working trac on a GL1100.

The PO put on progressive springs. I had the fluid changed. I have never seen a difference when I change the setting from 1 to 2 to 3 and back.

Wandering mind is wanting to know.

I can only say that the change to Progressive springs in the forks on the '81 Standard was significant enough (stiffened up if you will) that perhaps using Progressive springs with the TRAC system may be redundant? I am saying that the Honda springs are weaker in general so maybe the adjustments on the TRAC system can only be noticed with OEM springs?

I do not have an '83 to compare it to, just an opinion only.

Latest posts