Stator numbers

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjanderson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My bike isn't charging so I ran the voltage tests of the three yellow wires coming out of the stator. Here are the results (AC voltage):

Yellow wire to yellow wire:
1-3: 18V (idle) 75-76V (4500)
1-2: 18V (idle) 79-80V (4500)
2-3: 18V (idle) 75-76V (4500)

Yellow wire to ground:
1: 8V (idle) 39V (4500)
2: 0V (idle) 10V (4500)
3: 7V (idle) 38V (4500)

I'm guessing that the #2 yellow wire to ground is the problem?

Mike

I don't think yellow to ground volt test is accurate since the stator doesn't have a center tap to ground. I could be wrong....but the yellow to yellow voltages look good and similar to what I've seen on my stator.

The Honda manual says:

"Check the yellow leads to the stator for continuity with each other. Also check for shorts between any yellow lead and ground. Replace the stator if any yellow lead is not continuous with the others, or if any lead had continuity to ground"

I used my meter on the ohm setting that registers continuity by sound. Here is what I found:

1-3: continuity
1-2: no continuity
2-3: no continuity

1 to ground: no continuity
2 to ground: no continuity
3 to ground: no continuity

If I'm understanding the manual correctly, I should be getting continuity on 1-2 and 2-3?

Yesterday, I unplugged the regulator\rectifier and it looked good.

I am assuming that you have already bypassed the 3 yellow wire plug behind the right side panel because you have 399 posts and removing that thing has become almost a religion around here.

In my humble opinion I think you should do the clamp meter test, get you one that does DC amps, put it around each wire individually.

When I did mine I got about 50 amps on each wire at about 3000 rpm. And it works perfectly.

I was wrong in my last post! So here is a correction!!

You need an AC. (Alternating current) clamp meter.

They are very easily accessible. Ask any electrician or A/C technician. Chances are though that the A/C tech will understand more about what your trying to achieve than the electrician will.

Basically this way. you will be testing the power at it's source, before it is rectified into DC. (Direct current) in the rectifier.

chilidawg":3vru3xew said:
I was wrong in my last post! So here is a correction!!

You need an AC. (Alternating current) clamp meter.

They are very easily accessible. Ask any electrician or A/C technician. Chances are though that the A/C tech will understand more about what your trying to achieve than the electrician will.

Basically this way. you will be testing the power at it's source, before it is rectified into DC. (Direct current) in the rectifier.

I think my son has one of these meters so I will see if can borrow it.

Latest posts