Fuel Pump leaking gas

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had not ridden my bike in 3-4 days. When I entered the closed garage I smelled gasoline.
After taking the bling off the fuel pump It had a very dirty spot. I wiped it off and then I saw a drop of gas coming from the top screws of the pump.

I can not find a gasket or o-ring in the parts book for any piece that goes under the top of the pump.

Any suggestions?

Somewhere I read about using early Chevy diaphragms cut down to suit the GW pumps.

Mine has the screws on the top of the pump so I would imagine that there is a gasket under there, or an o-ring. Maybe the tubing has come loose and gas is oozing out.

Edit: I just looked at my parts diagram and it doesn't show a gasket there but I can't imagine that there is metal on metal there especially since it is maintaining pressure.

If it is a mechanical fuel pump then there is a diaphragm sandwiched under those screws.

If I recall the diaphragm double as the gasket so a new pump is needed or a repair, I have seen others use care type repair kits but would buy a new one if it were me or a low pressure electric, me thinks 7-14 lbs but you might want to check me on that.

Specified pump pressure by Honda is low, 2-4 lbs is all. That's when using the stock carbs. Higher pressure could be okay but I would stay low like stock.
I had found online awhile back, new Honda OEM pumps available for about $130. An aftermarket electric can be had for much less.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=192914#p192914:33wd5ie5 said:
dan filipi » July 8th, 2017, 9:19 am[/url]":33wd5ie5]
Specified pump pressure by Honda is low, 2-4 lbs is all. That's when using the stock carbs. Higher pressure could be okay but I would stay low like stock.
I had found online awhile back, new Honda OEM pumps available for about $130. An aftermarket electric can be had for much less.

I was thinking about switching to electric but i have a single 34 pic 3 vw carb. what could i use on that. 83 honda prelude maybe?

Latest posts