Tachometer Gear/fuel pump

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remove the lower inside bolt to the housing that is directly under the tach cable housing. Should just pull out once that bolt is out.

I have done that and I did get the tach cable out. Can I pull on the end of the gear with pliers?
I do have the fuel pump off the engine with the gas lines still attached.

The cable goes in the gear. Is there something wrong with the gear? Seal should go on the cable housing iirc.

OOHHH.

I thought the seal went in the fuel pump.
The oil seal I have is #12 on the fuel pump parts diagram.
On the cable the seal will fit on the tach slot so I know it does not go there.

No nothing is wrong with the gear. I was just maintence since the cable broke.

part #12 on here on 1983 Goldwing . https://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/hon ... aQoddJgIhQ

Does the seal fit in the pump?

Pretty sure that fits the end of the cable housing where it inserts the pump housing. To seal the base of the cable housing.

The seal is a light press fit in the Tach drive housing (Rear Pump Casing #3) and seals on the shaft area between the gear and drive tang. There is the temptation to pull on the tach cable drive tang on the gear to remove the seal but try to resist as the tang could be broken off and then the gear will have to be replaced. It is best to remove the seal using a hook probe or screw (like a dry wall screw) from the cable entry side or gently pry up on the gear from the engine side to push the seal out. Keep track of the thrust washers #5 and #10 and washer #11. Best of luck !

Attachments

• Tach Seal.png
    Tach Seal.png
    398 KB · Views: 78
I remember looking at this myself and thinking, I'm glad I don't have to mess with that thing!

I realize that doesn't help you but if it ain't leaking, leave it alone.

You know what they say about working on things that ain't broke.

Put it up, and if it does leak one day, you'll have a spare, all you'll have to do is find it again.

Latest posts