Here is "The Wanderer" Part 3

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

made2care

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
2003 bmw r1200c
84 gl1200
Just picked this up today. Exact same year and model of "The Wanderer". Does not run but does have a clean title and it was dirt cheap. Notice how the po made some mods to fit their tastes, heel/toe sifter, saddlebags , muffler.

Attachments

• IMG_1791.JPG
    IMG_1791.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1794.JPG
    IMG_1794.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 140
I have the same style pipes on my Valk. I plan to cut the turn down off even with the bottom of the rest of the pipe because they scrape in turns and over curbs. Looks like it was equipped with a fairing. Knowing you it'll be on the road before your seat is ready for the other bike.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193627#p193627:336xdxis said:
slabghost » 2 minutes ago[/url]":336xdxis]
I have the same style pipes on my Valk. I plan to cut the turn down off even with the bottom of the rest of the pipe because they scrape in turns and over curbs. Looks like it was equipped with a fairing. Knowing you it'll be on the road before your seat is ready for the other bike.

Looking closer at the pipes, they did a real clean job. don't care for the saddlebags though.

I put turn down extensions on mine and liked it for awhile. Changed the exhaust tone some as sound bounced back from the road. Got tired of them hitting the curb backing in to curb to park so I took them off.

I had the downturn pipes on the '81. They were aftermarket exhaust. Too noisy reverberating off the street. I cut them off straight and it quieted down quite a bit.
image.php

image.php

image.php

made2care":33472mbw said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193627#p193627:33472mbw said:
slabghost » 2 minutes ago[/url]":33472mbw]

Looking closer at the pipes, they did a real clean job. don't care for the saddlebags though.

They look kind of sad. Nice bike tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mufflers off of a Dyna on mine. Shorter and have a nice tone. I was gifted a pair of Screaming Eagles which are basically metal cones and it resonated so much in my helmet that I rode 10 minutes, turned around and took them right back off.

Lol .....yah one thing about oldwing is they are much more consistent than a loud Harley ...even though oldwings are not as loud ...there still bad ...strait pipes or close to it at 70mph an oldwing will tear your ears up .....

Lostboy Steve":3qbpllhn said:
made2care":3qbpllhn said:
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193627#p193627:3qbpllhn said:
slabghost » 2 minutes ago[/url]":3qbpllhn]

They look kind of sad. Nice bike tho!

The saddlebags, not the pipes. Pipes look good.

Well, part 3 will be short lived. I fired it up and "mudd" came spurting out the pipes, really bad. I'm assuming major oil/ coolant leak. Since part 2 is almost done, this one will go up for sale but will remove the engine guards and keep title. sad, since it was a good looking bike. I will virtually give it away.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193662#p193662:hocix6f4 said:
made2care » Today, 5:12 pm[/url]":hocix6f4]
Well, part 3 will be short lived. I fired it up and "mudd" came spurting out the pipes, really bad. I'm assuming major oil/ coolant leak. Since part 2 is almost done, this one will go up for sale but will remove the engine guards and keep title. sad, since it was a good looking bike. I will virtually give it away.

Not so fast young man. You may need some of that bike before it is over and I'm sure there are those out there that needs stuff off of it. Might help you fund the other stuff you are working on. BTW, I would tie down the bike with ratchets on each handlebar, then put anything else on it you want.

Well, here's what really happened ! I didn't purchase the bike to rebuild, just was interested in the title and then when i got it home i was curious to see if i could get it running. the crap ( oil, gas, coolant) that came out of the pipes was terrible and it really trashed my garage ( should have started it outside) . I lost my temper and just took it outside behind my shed and said to heck with it. I spanked it a few times too, real good spankings, the kind that gets your neighbors attention. most of my other bike is done, just waiting on seat, so i'm good. I put this one on craigslist already.

At least take the pipes off and drain the crap out. Might be accumulation from a long minor leak. Maybe some kid was playing "gas station" with a garden hose in the tail pipes.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=193672#p193672:1flov7oe said:
slabghost » 36 minutes ago[/url]":1flov7oe]
At least take the pipes off and drain the crap out. Might be accumulation from a long minor leak. Maybe some kid was playing "gas station" with a garden hose in the tail pipes.

I leave for vacation Wed, so knowing me, upon my return, i will delete the ad, remove her from behind the shed, apologize and see what I can do to fix her :builder: