Raising the Front.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
This is not a real big problem for me but I seem to be leaning forward more than I would like while I'm riding. It's not like I'm sliding down the seat, but it would be nice if the front end stood a little taller. I don't remember this on the last 1100 I had.

I have had the shocks apart and was very careful about putting everything back together right, and the correct amount of fluid. The front end feels solid and handles fine for its age. It can be a bit choppy.

I'm wondering if a change to progressive springs would help this particular issue. I know that they have other benefits and I plan on doing the change this winter. (Maybe earlier if I can't get the speedo cable fastener that is stripped off the bike without taking off the wheel) The effect is worse when I apply the front brake and when the motor decelerates and makes the front end dive. Like I said, it is not a major problem, but if there is a solution I'm interested.

I am going to change the springs, but am going to wait until it gets cold. Will do some work on the progressives before I do that. I wonder if anyone has used a handlebar riser? Maybe an inch or two.

Risers and pull backs have both been used. I've gained enough simply loosening the bars and pulling them rearward an inch or two.

I'm going to try that tomorrow. I really hate to mess around with the handlebars too much as they are almost perfect now. May be perfecter if I move them around. May even make my own riser with washers as long as the bolts are long enough.

I got a pair of vintage risers off a cb750, about 2" up and back with std bars. Much more comfortable on the long haul. The pricey part was the new SS brake hose to reach the mc.

I've lived with this since I got the bike way back when. Fits me perfect.
DSC02100.JPG

DSC02101.JPG

DSC02102.JPG

DSC02099.JPG

I have the same handlebar setback/risers on my '82. They made a huge difference in my arm resting position on long trips. I have tennis elbow and carpal tunnel and between the setback/risers and crampbuster, normally I can ride for hours on end!

That really is a nice set up. Wondering where it came from? Also, D-50 do you have a picture of that gauge set up between the speakers? And where it came from.

I'm not sure why you'd be so reluctant to experiment with adjusting the bars. If it eliminates the "forward" feeling, you're a lot further ahead of the game than if you'd just replaced the springs and found that it didn't help (which it won't). What you're describing is a bar that's too much of a reach. Kids on Spider bikes for decades fixed that problem by moving the bar. Works on motorcycles too! If you run into a problem, it's not too difficult to simply loosen the for screws again and put it back the way it was.

Risers are very common on all bikes to help with the same issue. It'll be tough finding something GL specific, but 7/8" stuff is all over:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194259#p194259:31eaa4nf said:
wedoo2 » August 4th, 2017, 8:10 pm[/url]":31eaa4nf]
I'm going to try that tomorrow. I really hate to mess around with the handlebars too much as they are almost perfect now. May be perfecter if I move them around. May even make my own riser with washers as long as the bolts are long enough.
The clamps have to fit tightly to its companion it bolts down to so washers won't work here safely imo.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194698#p194698:2ouoq2lv said:
wedoo2 » August 14th, 2017, 8:16 pm[/url]":2ouoq2lv]
That really is a nice set up. Wondering where it came from? Also, D-50 do you have a picture of that gauge set up between the speakers? And where it came from.
Came with the bike when I got it in '89. It's not factory stock?
DSC02103.JPG

Sorry for the poor quality light, its early morning. From left to right: Volts, Outside Temp, Altitude, Clock.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=194805#p194805:2mz6zv9u said:
desertrefugee » Yesterday, 8:55 pm[/url]":2mz6zv9u]
But, Dave's photos show at least three different bezels. Honda wouldn't do that, would they?
The bezels are all identical, just poor lighting/photography.

Latest posts