Petcock leak

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy45

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Last weekend I found out that in reserve the petcock pours gasoline when if set in this position. I had never used the reserve before until this last weekend. Is there a kit to restore the petcock or just go with a new one? I found a new one for about $35 at ebay.

:salute:

A rebuild is certainly possible and Parts are available, but it does require a certain amount of intestinal fortitude. This would be a good time to consider a new one - unless you don't mind drilling rivets in sourcing hardware to replace them. Kits for rebuilding are a lot cheaper than $35...

Rebuilding it is easier than you would think. Drill two rivet, replace the gasket, and use two screws of small bolts to hold it together again.

In most cases, when you open it up, you can just flip the gasket 180 and reassemble. Only two holes are used and there are 4 holes in the gasket, so it is worth a try.

As long as the gasket isn't hard, you can turn it and reuse it. I replaced my gasket for a few bucks and sourced small bolts with matching lock washers and nuts for few bucks in it as well. In total, you can rebuild it for $10 give or take. The rest is time and patience.

Take your valve to the hardware store after you drill out your rivets to size up the fasteners you will need. Also be sure to watch that you don't drill the holes too wide.

desertrefugee":1xeillal said:
Wouldn't hurt it if you're gentle, but I don't see why it's really necessary. The contortions needed to do the job will only take a few minutes.
Done! Petcock rebuilt! Thanks for the help! Gone rideing!
f0ba6572d8cd5b4ae0ca71aa8eda0387.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk