Click Click

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
Something odd has happened to the Gold Witch the past week. After it has sat for a day or so I turn on the ignition and it just clunks. Once when I tended to other things and tried it again it turned over fine. Today I had to actually turn the motor over by hand. This has happened before, but not for several months.

Initial thoughts?

Starter rebuild time? Battery on last leg? Stator connection funky?corrosion on battery terminals? Loose battery cables? either end. Reg rec terminals?

When you say "turn over by hand" you don't mean that you have some sort of hand crank starter do you? I assume what you are describing is rotating the engine manually which frees up an engaged starter clutch.

:headscratch: Clunk, or click??

A click would tend to be more of a connection/solenoid issue. A clunk would be more mechanical.

Next time it happens pull the plugs and with the kill switch set to off hit the button and see if it is hydro locking something I did every so often while it sat for days in the heat was to loosen the gas cap to relieve pressure...I know the floats should not allow gas and the off position should ensure it but I would get allot of pressure even in the shade...also turned the fuel off a block from the house.

It was a clunk and I did pull the little cover in the back off and turn it with a wrench. I was turning the gas off but got out of the habit. That won't happen again. I will pull the plugs later today and see if I'm getting any gas to fly. I know to cover things when I do that. That makes sense since it has happened after the bike has sat for a while.

As ansimp suggested starter clutch isolate the clunk sound if it's near the starter try a few oz MMO for a few hundred miles to help clean out the gunk . If the sound is near the battery could be the selenoid

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk