How often do you change oil?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB1953

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As some of you might remember I rebuilt a 1981 GL1100 Triwing trike for my son. He now has about 2000 miles on this oil change and we are wondering how often do you change your oil and filter. The manual says once a year /8000 miles but that sure seems like a lot of miles.And are there any brands of oil he should stay away from in his wing. Thanks John

I only ride 2-3,000 miles a year, so I change oil and filter once at the beginning of the season. I use Castrol 20W-50 'cause its cheap and at the store nearest to my house. Had the bike since '89 and it seems to be good with this routine.

Love an oil thread.

:popcorn:

Castrol 10w40 and I'll give it fresh blood a couple times a riding season. Just because I can.

Every fall before winter layup. The reason is to avoid having used oil, water, or other contaminants in the crankcase for six months. I average less than 1000 miles per year on the 3 bikes, so I don't really need to change it, but, as noted above, we do it because we can.

In the Midwest, Delo or Rotella-T 15W40 oil works fine. In the desert, 20W50 would be more appropriate.

For sure when it starts to get dark. Usually works out to around 3k or a couple of times per season per bike. These old Hondas can fool you if you go strictly by look as they usually have very little blow-by which darkens the oil. But, the color (and feel) mean more than the odometer.