LEDs for the Guages

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedoo2

Reaction score
I mentioned in one post that I was going to change the lights in my gauge cluster and they are in and I just need to put it all back together. I bought the LEDs from Superbriteleds.com. Bulbs are BA9S-BHP5, $3.95 each. Can be cheaper elsewhere but I got great customer service when I called them. Here are the bulbs that I pulled. All but one was blackened and it was no wonder I had a problem seeing the gauges.

IMG_0512_1.jpg

These are the LEDs I ordered. I ordered 7 but only needed 6; 3 for the speedometer, 2 for the tach and 1 for the fuel/temp.

timthumb.jpg

This is how it looks. Ohhhh Ahhhhhh

IMG_0514_1.jpg

Next project.

Doesn't seem to be much glare and the lights are bright enough. I have not been out at night yet as I was in Michigan all day yesterday and just got all of the little nuts back on before I had to leave again this evening. Besides, it is misting rain tonight. Will get it out tomorrow evening. Thinking now I may order the headlight from Superbrite.

It is here: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...version-kit-with-compact-heat-sink/3930/8566/ It is $39 and uses the passive heat sink instead of a fan. Not sure yet.

I ordered the new LED replacement bulb and will get it today. Decided to do it while the windshield was off to make it easier to remove the headlight.

I have been noticing the LEDs on oncoming vehicles for the past couple of days and since they are getting to be common don't seem to bother me as much as they used to. Mine will probably be too bright for others but at this point not sure if I care. I don't do a ton of night riding but now that it is getting dark earlier I will be. The LED headlight should make it easier to be seen during the day. New headlights and new blue gauges. Woot woot

Haven't moved on them yet. Riding doesn't start around here (at least for me) until about Easter. It may get near 50* this weekend. I'm planning on replacing the windshield as well so I'll pull a sample bulb and put in an order soon.

I changed out my fuel/temp° gauge bulb for an LED a couple of years ago when I swapped the 7v regulator for a solid state unit, because and it's probably the hardest bulb there is to change and they're longevity is great, plus I really didn't want to 'F' with it ever again.

I got it from superbrightleds.com and I'm sure they've come on leaps and bounds since then, but it's dimmer than a coal miners ass, I guess it's just really lucky that you don't need it unless it's very dark.

As for the headlight, I still say that LED's are good if you want to be seen, but if you want the best of both worlds, to see, and be seen, HID is the way to go.

LED's are bright to look at, but for shedding lumens where you need them, they suck! Especially if your just swapping out the bulb in a stock headlamp.

The 12/24w Led that I am currently using is really good but it is still not quite as good as the 35w hid. The main advantage for the LED is my hid uses a reflector/hood to change the angle for high beam which can be a little high. That being said the led is superior to the original 55/65w H4 bulb in Val and works well on our country roads and the DD, that being said I probably haven’t ridden more than an hour on country roads at night.