Speedo problems Gl1100

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLoosemore

Reaction score
I was driving down highway when my speedometer went from 100km/h to 20km/h a couple of times then dropped to zero. Broken cable 2 inches from the sender. Changed cable, and now the speedo reads lower at all speeds and both the odometers don't work. Any ideas on how to fix?

Make sure the cable is well lubed and fits into the bottom of the speedometer.

If the odometers aren't truly zeroed, they may be hanging up.

May need to pull the speedo and make sure it is turning freely.

Removed and reinstalled speedo cable, but no change the speedometer moves smooth while driving, just slower than actual speed. Both odometers still don't work, how ever, once in a while it will turn a little though that might just be vibration. The trip has moved 2.3 km in the last 3 tanks of fuel. I guess it might be something in the head.

I think that your speedo is dragging or skipping and it is time for a rebuild or replacement. :(

I was afraid the hard movements that happened when the cable let go could have cause damage. Looks like I will try to figure out how to open it up this winter and see if it can be salvaged. I do have a donor gauge off an 81, but it is mph not kph. and not sure if it is functional. It came off a bike that has not run in many years that a friend of mine from Oklahoma gave me.

At least swap out to the spare speedo so that you are sure that the fault is in the speedo. My 81 is in MPH with KPH in the inside in small writing so you eventually get used to the common speed limit points. That being said I try and run my phone as dashcam all the time and it has a great digital speedo readout. :good:

Sounds to me like it could be the front wheel, dual purpose bearing dust cover/speedo drive thingamajig about to give out, it's an easy fix and the parts are available. Same thing happened to me this year on a trip back from NM.

The things only made out of pressed sheet metal.

I could understand if nothing was working, but the speedo does function smoothly albeit slower than actual speed, but the trip and odometer do not function!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196607#p196607:27spohe6 said:
SLoosemore » 12 minutes ago[/url]":27spohe6]
I could understand if nothing was working, but the speedo does function smoothly albeit slower than actual speed, but the trip and odometer do not function!
Then the problem has to be mechanical inside the speedo.
They can be opened and possibly repaired, but in my experience it would be much simpler to find a good used.

If that little pressed tin doohickey is slipping around every few rpm of the front wheel, it will do exactly as you describe.

And it's a whole lot easier job than pulling and messing with the speedometer.

For sure easier than getting into the speedo. Check the easy stuff first.

Try chucking the cable end into a high speed drill. I think it needs to turn in reverse. Run it for a bit and see if the odo moves. Maybe give the speedo housing a love tap.

If the odometers don't work, the gears in the speedometer are too worn to drive the odometers. You may be able to disassemble, clean & lube, but worn-out is worn-out.

Reading mph slow can be caused by the cable socket in the speedometer being wallowed out.

Get another unit.

If the drive on the wheel slips the needle will normally jump ( it can also do that from inside the speedo), if the speedo is just reading slow consistently then it is the speedo mechanism ( too tight bearings/bushes or loss of magnatisim). As Dan suggested chase a new/used speedo as it will be the cheapest option.

I know its been awhile since I last posted, fighting another round of the big "C" again and it has kept me away from working on the bike. I have found another gauge, but it is from a 1980, I believe the wheel is a different size on that year than my 82, will it work on my bike?