Starter or starter relay problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy45

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day all,

A couple of weeks ago I was having trouble starting my oldwing. Sometimes it would start on the first try sometimes I had to try many times and it was only "clicking". I changed the starter brushes and at first it look like that the problem was fixed. well a few days ago it started again. Last night I got a little more deep into the problem and I noticed that the relay was very hot. I've noticed that in the morning when I start it it starts at first (when the relay is cold) could it be the starter relay the problem. How can I jump start the wing on the relay?

Thanks
Ben

The relay usually gets hot only when it's carrying high current. That sounds like what you've got and suggests a starter problem. You might have some fused rotor windings. Make sure the heavy connections between battery/solenoid/starter are clean, tight and otherwise good.

You can bypass the relay completely during these episodes by jumping directly from a positive battery terminal to the positive tap on the starter. If it spins free, you have a solenoid or connection issue. If you still get the same behavior, you've confirmed a starter issue.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196574#p196574:24xruqgp said:
desertrefugee » 13 minutes ago[/url]":24xruqgp]
The relay usually gets hot only when it's carrying high current. That sounds like what you've got and suggests a starter problem. You might have some fused rotor windings. Make sure the heavy connections between battery/solenoid/starter are clean, tight and otherwise good.

You can bypass the relay completely during these episodes by jumping directly from a positive battery terminal to the positive tap on the starter. If it spins free, you have a solenoid or connection issue. If you still get the same behavior, you've confirmed a starter issue.

:good: Thanks I'll check that.

If the contacts in the starter relay are corroded, that can cause excessive heat as the high starter motor current tries to get past the corrosion. In essence a much smaller contact area.
Start relays normally do get hot during longer cranking. Starter motor draws around 80 amps when cranking. That’s a lot of current going thru even clean contacts.

Absolutely true. I was thinking of the "click" but no starter action. Sort of says that the solenoid engages, but the starter motor doesn't spin. That could still be the cruddy relay (solenoid) contacts as Dan suggests. If you try the jumper test I suggested above, it will shed some light on the problem and we go from there.

Hello all,

I cleaned and checked all connections and it did not work then I jumped the starter relay from the starter to the battery and it did work. I had installed one of those cheap ebay starter relay because the original was not working when I started working on the wing. I installed back the original relay and like magic all is working just fine. I'll just need to get some spare dog bone fuses just in case.
Dont buy cheap ebay relays!

Thanks for the help

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts